A selection of Stephen Byers's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted against increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Consistently voted for more EU integration Show votes
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
Generally voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Stephen Byers’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Stephen Byers’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions how many people in North Tyneside whose occupation is registered as electrician or electrical fitter are receiving jobseeker's allowance.
To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport when he expects to sign the co-production treaty concerning the film industry with the Government of Israel.
To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer if he will amend the tax credit system to reflect the respective financial contribution by parents who have separated towards the cost of raising their children.
More of Stephen Byers’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for North Tyneside
Entered the House of Commons on 9 April 1992 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Also represented Wallsend
Topics of interest
- Education and Skills
- Work and Pensions
- Deputy Prime Minister
- Home Department
- Council Tax
- Income Tax: Tax Rates and Bands
Other offices held in the past
- Secretary of State, Department for Transport, Local Government and the Regions (8 Jun 2001 to 29 May 2002)
- Secretary of State, Department of Trade and Industry (24 Dec 1998 to 8 Jun 2001)
- Chief Secretary, HM Treasury (27 Jul 1998 to 23 Dec 1998)
- Minister of State (School Standards), Department for Education and Employment (5 May 1997 to 28 Jul 1998)
Future MPs in this constituency
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 0 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Stephen Byers’s speeches
- Has received answers to 7 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 61.41% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 5 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 35 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 802 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
1. Remunerated directorships
Chairman (non-executive) of the Yalta European Strategy Ltd; a company established to promote closer links between the Ukraine and the European Union
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Consultant in relation to the non-UK
commercial activities of Consolidated Contractors International Co., an international construction company founded in Lebanon with its head office now in Athens.
Fee for speaking at the Ukrainian Investment Summit on 10 March 2009
. Conference organised by ASI
Conferences. (Up to £5,000) (Registered 26 March 2009)
6. Overseas visits
16-20 February 2009
, to Washington for meetings with the Administration, House of Representatives and Senate to discuss climate change. The cost of travel and accommodation paid by the promoters of GLOBE. (Registered 26 March 2009)
Name of donor: GLOBE International
Address of donor: 11 Dartmouth Street, Westminster, London SW1H 9BN.
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): £2118.58
Purpose of visit: to meet with members of the administration, Senate and House of Representatives to discuss climate change and environmental sustainability in my role as President of GLOBE International.
8. Land and Property
Property in Forest Hall, Newcastle, from which some rental income is received.
9. Registrable shareholdings
(a) Piscari EcoBuild Ltd (of which I am unremunerated chairman); construction of sustainable buildings.
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from