Nick Brown’s voting in Parliament
Nick Brown is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.
However, Nick Brown sometimes differs from their party colleagues, such as:
Nick Brown generally voted against a wholly elected House of Lords, while most Labour MPs generally voted for. Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Nick Brown’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Nick Brown’s full vote analysis page for more.
Nick Brown has hardly ever rebelled against their party in the current parliament. Find out more.
Last updated: 9 Apr 2019
claimed to move the closure ( Standing Order No. 36). Question put forthwith, That the Question be now put. Question agreed to. Main Question accordingly put and agreed to. Resolved, That this House notes the findings of the Institute for Fiscal Studies that the UK is second only to the US in terms of income inequality among the major world economies in Europe and North America, that the...
claimed to move the closure ( Standing Order No. 36). Question put forthwith, That the Question be now put. Question agreed to. Main Question accordingly put.
claimed to move the closure ( Standing Order No. 36). Question put forthwith, That the Question be now put. Question agreed to. Main Question accordingly put and agreed to. Resolved, That this House declares an environment and climate emergency following the finding of the Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change that to avoid a more than 1.5°C rise in global warming, global emissions...
More of Nick Brown’s recent appearances
Labour MP for Newcastle upon Tyne East
Entered the House of Commons on 9 June 1983 — General election
Also represented Newcastle upon Tyne East and Wallsend
Topics of interest
Nick Brown campaigned to remain in the European Union
- Innovation and Skills
- Work and Pensions
- Communities and Local Government
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Departmental Manpower
- Departmental Responsibilities
- Offshore Industry
- Departmental Offices
Currently held offices
- Member, Public Accounts Commission (since 16 Nov 2017)
- Opposition Chief Whip (Commons) (since 6 Oct 2016)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (10 Nov 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Public Accounts Commission (4 Nov 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (10 Sep 2015 to 17 Oct 2016)
- Chair, Finance Committee (Commons) (21 Jul 2015 to 17 Oct 2016)
- Member, Finance Committee (Commons) (20 Jul 2015 to 21 Jul 2015)
- Member, Members Estimate Committee (9 Jul 2015 to 3 May 2017)
- Member, House of Commons Commission (9 Jul 2015 to 31 Oct 2016)
- Member, Draft Financial Services Bill (Joint Committee) (18 Jul 2011 to 13 Dec 2011)
- Member, Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (23 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary and Chief Whip (12 May 2010 to 8 Oct 2010)
- Chief Whip (3 Oct 2008 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Administration Committee (12 Jul 2007 to 27 Oct 2008)
- Member, Committee of Selection (4 Jul 2007 to 8 Oct 2008)
- Minister of State (Regional Affairs) (North East) (29 Jun 2007 to 6 May 2010)
- The Treasurer of Her Majesty's Household (28 Jun 2007 to 3 Oct 2008)
- Minister (Department for Work and Pensions) (Work) (8 Jun 2001 to 13 Jun 2003)
- Minister of State (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food) (27 Jul 1998 to 8 Jun 2001)
- Secretary of State for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (27 Jul 1998 to 8 Jun 2001)
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury (Chief Whip) (3 May 1997 to 26 Jul 1998)
- Member, Committee of Selection (16 Apr 1996 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Opposition Deputy Chief Whip (Commons) (1 Jan 1995 to 1 May 1997)
- Member, Broadcasting Committee (1 Jun 1994 to 1 Jun 1995)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Health) (1 Jan 1994 to 1 Jan 1995)
- Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (1 Jan 1992 to 1 Jan 1994)
- Shadow Spokesperson (Treasury) (1 Jan 1988 to 1 Jan 1992)
- Shadow Solicitor General (1 Jan 1985 to 1 Jan 1988)
- Member, Consolidation etc. Bills (Joint Committee) (16 Feb 1984 to 16 Mar 1992)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. More about this
- Has spoken in 6 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs. See all Nick Brown’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2015, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 85.00% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 100 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nick Brown’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 968 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from
© Parliament (CC-BY 3.0)