A selection of John Battle's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
Almost always voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Almost always voted against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Consistently voted for encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of John Battle’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit John Battle’s full vote analysis page for more.
Having served for the past 10 years on the Select Committee on International Development, it is a proud moment for me to say a few words in support of the Bill, which has all-party support. I know that we are at the end of the Parliament and there is a rush to get things through, and I listened carefully to the probing amendments tabled by the hon. Member for Gainsborough (Mr. Leigh), but...
To ask the Minister of State, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills what research has been undertaken by his Department on the level of interest rates charged in the (a) legal and (b) illegal home credit market; and what the highest rate of interest charged was in each such case.
To ask the Minister of State, Department for Business, Innovation and Skills what recent representations he has received from (a) consumer bodies and (b) other organisations (i) in support of and (ii) against the introduction of a cap on charges in the home credit market; and if he will make a statement.
More of John Battle’s recent appearances
Former Labour MP for Leeds West
Entered the House of Commons on 11 June 1987 — General election
Left the House of Commons on 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Topics of interest
- Work and Pensions
- International Development
- Home Department
- Social Fund
- Revenue and Customs: Telephone Services
- Waste Management
- Housing: Leeds
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (7 Oct 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Committee on Arms Export Controls (29 Sep 2008 to 7 Oct 2009)
- Member, Northern Ireland Affairs Committee (17 Oct 2006 to 27 Nov 2007)
- Member, International Development Committee (14 Jul 2005 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, International Development Committee (28 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Minister of State, Foreign & Commonwealth Office (28 Jul 1999 to 11 Jun 2001)
- Minister of State (Science, Energy and Industry), Department of Trade and Industry (5 May 1997 to 28 Jul 1999)
Previous MPs in this constituency
Future MPs in this constituency
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 18 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs. See all John Battle’s speeches
- Has received answers to 215 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 76.01% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 41 people are tracking this MP
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 592 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from