Moved by Lord McAvoy
1: After Clause 18, insert the following new Clause—
“Fiduciary duty of trustees
(1) The Secretary of State may by regulations—
(a) require any pension scheme, which is not already overseen by independent trustees, to appoint a board of independent trustees; and
(b) set out the powers and duties of a board appointed under paragraph (a).
(2) Regulations under this section—
(a) shall be made by statutory instrument, and
(b) may not be made unless a draft of the instrument has been laid before, and approved by resolution of, each House of Parliament.
(3) The board of independent trustees shall have a fiduciary duty towards members of the scheme overseen by them.
(4) The fiduciary duty set out in subsection (3) shall take precedence over any duty to—
(a) the shareholders in, or
(b) other owners of,
the operators of the scheme.
(5) In relation to any matters of member interest, decisions of the board of independent trustees shall be binding on the board of directors or other analogous bodies.”