moved Amendment No. 167A:
Clause 8, leave out Clause 8 and insert the following new Clause—
"Commencement and referendum on continuance in force
(1) This Act shall come into force on Royal Assent.
(2) Within six months of this Act receiving Royal Assent, a referendum shall be held to determine whether it shall continue in force.
(3) The question in that referendum shall be:
"Following Parliament's passing of the European Union (Amendment) Act, adding the Treaty of Lisbon to the list of Treaties in section 1(2) of the European Communities Act 1972, should the United Kingdom leave the European Union in the manner prescribed in Article 49A of the Treaty on European Union?YES/NO"
(4) If a majority of those voting in the referendum vote "Yes" to the question in subsection (3), this Act shall cease to have effect from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement negotiated under paragraph 2 of Article 49A of the Treaty on European Union.
(5) If a majority of those voting in the referendum vote "No" to the question in subsection (3), this Act shall continue in force."