moved Amendment No. 4A:
After Clause 9, insert the following new clause—
(1) The appropriate national authority may make regulations providing for—
(a) the application of relevant enactments to pedicabs; and
(b) the enforcement of relevant enactments in relation to pedicabs.
(2) The regulations may, in particular, make provision—
(a) identifying the person against whom enforcement action may be taken if there is a contravention of a relevant enactment;
(b) for the registration of pedicabs by specified authorities and the provision and display of registration plates on pedicabs;
(c) for the payment of fees for registration;
(d) for the making of registers available for inspection and sale;
(e) for offences relating to registration;
(f) for transitional arrangements.
(3) The Greater London Council (General Powers) Act 1974 (c. xxiv) is amended as follows.
(4) In section 15(11) (parking on footways, grass verges, etc.), in the definition of "vehicles", after "means" insert "a pedicab (within the meaning given by section (Pedicabs) of the Road Safety Act 2005),".
(5) The London Local Authorities and Transport for London Act 2003 (c. iii) is amended as follows.
(6) In section 4(5) (penalty charges for road traffic contraventions), for the words "motor vehicle" there is substituted "vehicle".
(7) In section 4(16), the definition of "motor vehicle" is omitted and the following definition is inserted at the end—
""vehicle" means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads and a pedicab within the meaning given by section (Pedicabs) of the Road Safety Act 2005.".
(8) In this section—
"the appropriate national authority" means—
(a) in relation to England, the Secretary of State;
(b) in relation to Wales, the National Assembly for Wales;
"pedicab" means a cycle constructed or adapted—
(a) to seat one or more passengers; and
(b) for the purpose of being made available with a driver for hire for the purpose of carrying passengers;
"relevant enactment" means—
(a) section 15 (parking on footways, grass verges, etc.) of the Greater London Council (General Powers) Act 1974 (c. xxiv);
(b) Part II of the Road Traffic Act 1991 (c. 40) (traffic in London);
(c) Part II of and Schedule 1 to the London Local Authorities Act 1996 (c. ix) (bus lanes);
(d) regulations made under section 144 of the Transport Act 2000 (c. 38) (civil penalties for bus lane contraventions);
(e) Part 2 of the London Local Authorities and Transport for London Act 2003 (road traffic and highways);
(f) regulations under section 72 of the Traffic Management Act 2004 (c. 18) (civil penalties for road traffic contraventions);
(g) any other enactment relating to road traffic regulation, specified in regulations made by the appropriate national authority, which provides for the service of penalty charge notices or notices to owner on the owner of a vehicle;
"specified authority" means—
(a) in Greater London, Transport for London;
(b) elsewhere in England and Wales, a traffic authority."