moved Amendment No. 192:
After Clause 109, insert the following new clause—
ELECTRICITY GENERATION USING CLEAN COAL TECHNOLOGIES
After section 32C of the 1989 Act there is inserted—
"32D OBLIGATION IN CONNECTION WITH ELECTRICITY FROM COAL
(1) The Secretary of State may by order impose on each electricity supplier falling within a specified description (a "designated electricity supplier") an obligation to do what is set out in subsection (3) (and that obligation is referred to in this section and sections 32E to 32G as the "clean coal obligation").
(2) The descriptions of electricity supplier upon which an order may impose the clean coal obligation are those supplying electricity—
(a) in England and Wales;
(b) in Scotland; or
(c) in Northern Ireland, excluding such categories of supplier (if any) as are specified.
(3) Subject to the provisions of this section and sections 32E and 32G, the clean coal obligation is offered to designated electricity suppliers who, before a specified day, produce to the Authority evidence of a specified kind showing—
(a) that it has supplied to customers in the United Kingdom during a specified period such amount of electricity generated from coal by using clean coal technologies as is specified in relation to such a supplier;
(b) that another electricity supplier has done so (or that two or more others have done so); or
(c) that, between them, they have done so.
(4) Before making an order, the Secretary of State must consult—
(a) the Authority;
(b) the Council;
(c) the electricity suppliers to whom the proposed order would apply;
(d) the generators of electricity from coal; and
(e) such other persons, if any, as he considers appropriate.
(5) In this section—
"clean coal technologies" means specified technologies for the generation of electricity from coal that meet specified pollutant emission performance criteria.
"specified" means specified in the order.
(6) An order under this section shall not be made unless a draft of the instrument containing it has been laid before, and approved by a resolution of, each House of Parliament.""