moved Amendment No. 129:
After Clause 195, insert the following new clause—
"DRUGS AND ALCOHOL POLICIES
(1) The governors of every maintained school shall determine the drugs and alcohol policy for that school.
(2) A school's drugs and alcohol policy shall provide that where a head teacher takes disciplinary action against a pupil under the terms of the school's drugs and alcohol policy, the parent of the pupil concerned may appeal to that school's governing body.
(3) No appeal shall be made under subsection (2) save on procedural grounds.
(4) On such an appeal, the governing body may—
(a) confirm the head teacher's action,
(b) in the event of a procedural error on the part of the head teacher, invite the disciplinary case to be heard again, or
(c) direct the head teacher to take such other action as they consider appropriate in the circumstances.
(5) The head teacher shall comply with any directions of the governing body given under subsection (4)(b) or (c).
(6) The governing body shall notify the appellant and the head teacher in writing of their decision on such an appeal."