Covid-19 Update

Part of the debate – in the House of Commons at 1:50 pm on 8th September 2020.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Barry Gardiner Barry Gardiner Labour, Brent North 1:50 pm, 8th September 2020

On 3 July, the Secretary of State said that asymptomatic testing in residential care homes would give staff the confidence to continue their work. Yesterday, the Transport Secretary said that Public Health England now believes that asymptomatic testing might capture only 7% of those infected, leaving 93% of those infected to go about their business. If asymptomatic testing is as confidence-building as the Secretary of State says, and if a care home is a goose and an airport is a gander, why is the sauce of asymptomatic testing not good for both?