Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Controlling Migration

Part of Oral Answers to Questions — Justice – in the House of Commons at 3:33 pm on 23rd November 2010.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Theresa May Theresa May Minister for Women and Equalities, The Secretary of State for the Home Department 3:33 pm, 23rd November 2010

A number of hon. Members from all parts of the House with English language schools in their constituencies have raised the question of such schools. We take the issue very seriously, and one aspect of the student visas consultation will be aimed specifically at such schools and how we can introduce to the system some changes that will benefit them.


Christian Wilcox
Posted on 24 Nov 2010 12:05 pm (Report this annotation)

There should be a link-in with this for Asylum types that need to learn English as well. Asylum is not part of this curb, so that supply of punters will keep coming.

Maybe it is something the govt can fund as part of getting Asylum types to work? Get their English up, like a 'state school for adults', and go from there. Once they're speaking the language you can access what skills they have a lot easier, which will help with getting people to work. You could do it by govt sponsorship as part of their benefits, and make it compulsory as part of being granted asylum.

'You will learn the language, and you will work when able to. In return we will allow you to stay.' - That's a perfectly reasonable deal to make with a claimant, and also allows for those who are injured to be able to heal before joining the work-force.

And that should help keep those schools ticking over. You can't just let asylum-types sit on vouchers forever, and many want to work. So why not rustle up punters that way?