Question accordingly negatived.
Amendment proposed: 3, page 97, leave out lines 36 to 40 and insert-
'Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 (c. 15)
2 (9) In section 137, the following amendments are made in relation to the use of amplified noise equipment and other devices designed to produce noise in the area around Parliament.
(10) For "loudspeaker" wherever it occurs substitute "amplified noise equipment or other device designed to produce noise".
(11) In subsection (1) leave out "in a street in the designated area" and insert "in the area around Parliament, as specified by order under section 14ZB of the Public Order Act 1986".
(12) In subsection (2), leave out paragraph (i).
(13) After subsection (3) insert-
"(3A) A police officer shall, on receipt of a complaint of excessive noise caused by amplified noise equipment or other device designed to produce noise, have the power-
(a) to require the operator to desist, and
(b) in the event of non-compliance, to seize the amplified noise equipment or other device designed to produce noise and to retain it as long as it is deemed necessary.
(3B) The powers available under subsection (3A) above may be exercised by the most senior police officer in the immediate vicinity of the source of the noise.".
(14) In subsection (6) leave out "or of" and insert "save where prohibited under".'.
Question put, That the amendment be made.
The House proceeded to a Division.