Motion made and Question put,
That this House notes Sir John Baker's Review of Parliamentary Pay and Allowances (Cm 7416), and is of the opinion that the policy set out in the Written Ministerial Statement by the Leader of the House of 17th June Official Report col. 46WS should be implemented, such that—
(1) the salary of a Member of this House should be increased from 1st April 2008, and from 1st April of each subsequent year, by an uprating formula which increases the salary by a percentage equal to the median of relevant increases for the following public sector groups: senior military, holders of judicial office, very senior NHS managers, doctors and dentists, the Prison Service, NHS staff, school teachers, the Armed Forces, police officers, Local Government; non-Senior Civil Service staff in each of the Department for Work and Pensions, Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, the Ministry of Defence and the Home Office; and the Senior Civil Service;
(2) the SSRB should conduct a review of Members' salaries in the first year of each new Parliament unless such a review has taken place within the preceding two years;
(3) at such a review the SSRB should consider either or both of:
(a) an adjustment to the salary, consistent with public sector pay policy, to reflect an assessment of the appropriate salary at that time relative to jobs of similar weight elsewhere in the public sector;
(b) as regards the public sector groups listed above, such amendments to the list as appear to it to be necessary to reflect changes in the pay setting arrangements for those groups; to take effect from the first 1st April following the first meeting of the new Parliament; 2754 Order of Business: 3rd July 2008 No. 122
(4) each year the SSRB chair should notify the Speaker of the change in salary (expressed as a percentage) and, on such notification to the Speaker, that change shall have effect, subject to any further notification given following a review under paragraph (2);
(5) the Speaker should lay before the House:
(a) any notification received from the SSRB chair under paragraph (4); and
(b) any report from the SSRB following a review under paragraph (2) above;
(6) an additional salary payable to a Member under Resolutions of this House in respect of service as a chairman of select or general committees shall be changed by the same percentage and from the same time as the salary of a Member. —[Ms Harman.]
Copy and paste this code on your website
If no Tellers are put in, that is a indication that the vote is by acclaim. I shall call in Tellers, which will not take me a minute.
Thanks for that advice. That is very good of you.
Question agreed to.
We come to Members' Salaries (Expression of Opinion) (No. 3)— [ Interruption. ] Let us get this clear.
Mr. Speaker, the third expression of opinion motion would put into effect Sir John Baker's three-year £650 catch-ups. I have placed it on the Order Paper for the convenience of the House, and am prepared to move it formally, but if I do so, we will then be voting no—[Hon. Members: "You will."] I will be voting no.
I shall put the Question on this motion. How hon. Members vote is nothing to do with me.