Assaults (Mental Health Wards)

Part of Oral Answers to Questions — Health – in the House of Commons at 2:30 pm on 18th July 2006.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rosie Winterton Rosie Winterton The Minister of State, Department of Health 2:30 pm, 18th July 2006

Let us be clear: 99 per cent. of mental in-patient wards meet the requirements that have been laid down by the Department. Those requirements are that there should be separate sleeping accommodation and separate toilets and bathrooms. We also recommend that trusts could consider whether it is appropriate for wards to be completely male-only or female-only. Those issues are often debated, and the hon. Gentleman should recognise that. In some circumstances it is right that there are areas where males and females can go. That, in a sense, makes it a normal setting. There are also those who prefer that in some instances there should be completely separate wards. We have told trusts that where it is appropriate, they should consider such matters. As I said, there is 99 per cent. compliance in mental in-patient wards. We are working with the remaining 1 per cent. to ensure 100 per cent. compliance.

Annotations

molijana
Posted on 19 Jul 2006 3:03 pm (Report this annotation)

Maybe the definition of single sexed wards needs to be looked at....as a curtain does not count as single sleeping accommodation in my book...or and unmanned excuse the pun....corridor
If Service Users were to check all the wards other than the 1% who are not complying you honestly believe we would be satisfied that the provision of single sexed sleeping accommodation was acceptable?
Maybe we should ask the Mental Health PPI Forums to take this up as part of there workplan!!!!