Stephen Lawrence Inquiry

Part of the debate – in the House of Commons at 5:49 pm on 29th March 1999.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jack Straw Jack Straw The Secretary of State for the Home Department 5:49 pm, 29th March 1999

I think the right hon. and learned Member for Folkestone and Hythe (Mr. Howard) will confirm that it is already the case that, when a police officer has, for example, been convicted of a serious criminal offence and the Secretary of State signs a certificate stating that that conviction brings the police service concerned into serious disrepute, that police officer may forfeit up to 75 per cent. of his pension. That is the portion of the pension that was contributed by the state; the remaining 25 per cent. is never subject to forfeit because that amount is assumed for these purposes to have been contributed by the individual.