Free Travel Facilities (Wives)

Oral Answers to Questions — British Army – in the House of Commons at 12:00 am on 11th December 1957.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mr Reginald Sorensen Mr Reginald Sorensen , Leyton 12:00 am, 11th December 1957

asked the Secretary of State for War what facilities are available to ex-Service men who marry while on service overseas to enable them to bring their wives to this country when the ex-Service man has returned home.

Photo of Mr Julian Amery Mr Julian Amery , Preston North

I will publish in the OFFICIAL REPORT a summary of the regulations covering entitlement to family passages. If a soldier, of his own free will, leaves his wife behind him when he returns home for discharge he has no further right to a free passage for her to join him; but this is a rare occurrence and a case for granting exceptional treatment would be considered on its merits.

Photo of Mr Reginald Sorensen Mr Reginald Sorensen , Leyton

If I bring to the hon. Gentleman's attention the case of a soldier in my constituency whose wife is still in Malaya, will he sympathetically consider ways and means of bringing her back to her husband?

Following are the regulations:—

To be eligible for a passage for his family an officer must be 25 years or over, serving on a Regular engagement; and a soldier must be 21 years or over, serving on a regular engagement. When a Service man marries at a station overseas approved as suitable for families, his family is eligible for a free passage home provided that:

  1. (a) the wife was a member of the Women's Service or a Service family, and so entitled to a passage on that account; or
  2. (b) the wife has been resident in the country concerned for at least six months before the expected end of the soldier's tour overseas.