War Damaģe (Rural Areas)

Oral Answers to Questions — Housing – in the House of Commons at 12:00 am on 15th March 1945.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Major Abraham Lyons Major Abraham Lyons , Leicester East 12:00 am, 15th March 1945

asked the Minister of Works what arrangements have been made with county councils and other rural authorities for essential repairs to damaged rural dwellings and buildings and for an allocation of temporary bungalows as they become available for use in rural areas.

The Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Health (Miss Horsbruģh):

I have been asked to reply. By arrangement with my right hon. Friend the Minister of Works assistance is given by his Department to local authorities in rural areas by providing supplementary labour and materials for repairs to damaged houses and essential farm buildings. Circulars 2450 and 2871, copies of which have been sent to my hon. and gallant Friend, set out the procedure. County councils are not normally concerned with the repairs. With regard to the second part of the Question, about 6,000 temporary houses have been allocated to 101 rural district councils in England and Wales, and about 2,500 temporary houses to 24 small boroughs and 13 counties in Scotland.

Photo of Major Abraham Lyons Major Abraham Lyons , Leicester East

Is there constant touch between the Department and the local authorities on this matter, in which they may require help urgently?

Miss Horsbruģh:

Yes, certainly.