Discharged Men (Civilian Clothing)

Oral Answers to Questions — Royal Navy – in the House of Commons on 26th April 1944.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Mr Samuel Viant Mr Samuel Viant , Willesden West

asked the First Lord of the Admiralty if he is aware that, as recently as 7th April, at Chatham, a man on discharge from the Royal Marines was issued with the old type of blue suit, utility, a white collar to wear with his Service khaki shirt, a tie of an entirely different colour, a cloth cap and a pair of Service boots and was informed that he could obtain something better by accepting a voucher and paying 30s. at one of the establishments of a well-known tailor; and will he arrange for the improved conditions which have been inaugurated for the men discharged from the Army to apply to men discharged from the Navy.

Photo of Mr Albert Alexander Mr Albert Alexander , Sheffield, Hillsborough

The arrangements for the issue of civilian clothing to men discharged from the Royal Marines are identical with those in the Army, supplies for the Royal Marines being obtained from Army stocks. The items of clothing issued in the case referred to were of the standard types obtained from the Army clothing stores. As regards the second part of the Question, whatever improved conditions are adopted for the Army will be introduced for the Navy also.

Photo of Mr Evelyn Walkden Mr Evelyn Walkden , Doncaster

Does the arrangement still exist that sailors on demobilisation are given a voucher which is only negotiable with Montague Burton, or has there been an alteration in recent weeks?

Photo of Mr Albert Alexander Mr Albert Alexander , Sheffield, Hillsborough

That does not arise out of this Question, but I promised my hon. Friend that we would look into that matter, though I cannot give him the exact date when any change will take place.

Photo of Captain Leonard Plugge Captain Leonard Plugge , Rochester Chatham

May I ask my right hon. Friend if this man is a constituent of the hon. Member's or a constituent of mine?