As this is really a very vital matter, may I ask the right hon. Gentleman whether he will give the House a full opportunity of considering his interpretation of this reservation before the day comes on which we are asked to ratify it?
I have already answered a question that we had under consideration publishing a White Paper setting out our position, and, if we decide definitely to do so, it will be before the Debate comes on.
Does the right hon. Gentleman realise that there are two different sets of issues involved: In the first place, what are the intentions of the Government; in the second place, whether the language of the reservation is suitable to carry out their intentions; and we cannot have a Debate on the second point unless we have in formation on the first?
The answer is in the negative. As I have already in formed the House, I hope to deal with this and similar points during the Debate which will arise when the Government invites the House to approve the signature of the Optional Clause.