Grants for Re-Starting Businesses.

Oral Answers to Questions — Naval and Military Pensions and Grants. – in the House of Commons on 13th February 1919.

Alert me about debates like this



asked the Pensions Minister whether, seeing that men discharged from the forces without wounds or other disability are debarred from receiving grants from the King's fund for obtaining businesses, notwithstanding that they may have been, in business when called to the Colours and that their service has caused their businesses to be abandoned, such arrangements can be made as will enable State funds to be used to restart businesses closed in this manner?

Photo of Dr Christopher Addison Dr Christopher Addison , Shoreditch

I have been asked to answer this question. Arrangements are being made for the continuation and extension of the Military Service (Civil Liabilities) Scheme to officers and men demobilised from His Majesty's Forces in cases of special hardship arising from military service. In such cases financial assistance from public funds will be available for the purpose of enabling applicants to re-open businesses which have been closed under circumstances such as those to which my hon. Friend refers.

Photo of Mr James Hogge Mr James Hogge , Edinburgh East

Can my right hon. Friend say if any instructions have been issued showing the way in which both officers and men should apply for the grants that he suggests? Can he say if it is the Civil Liabilities Commission, or whether it is some authority under his own Department?

Photo of Dr Christopher Addison Dr Christopher Addison , Shoreditch

I could not answer that question without inquiry.

Photo of Mr Noel Billing Mr Noel Billing , Hertford

Will the right hon. Gentleman consider the advisability of giving to each soldier and officer on his discharge a pamphlet giving full instructions how to get all the benefits open to him?

Photo of Dr Christopher Addison Dr Christopher Addison , Shoreditch

Such a pamphlet has been prepared, and is in print. It is not my business to see that it is issued, but that of another Department.