Bail

Home Department written question – answered on 12th March 2012.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Richard Graham Richard Graham Conservative, Gloucester

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many people detained by the UK Border Agency were granted bail in each of the last five years; and how many (a) absconded and (b) failed to keep to bail conditions in each year.

Photo of Damian Green Damian Green The Minister for Immigration

In order to answer this question the UK Border Agency would need to analyse a large volume of electronic records, which would incur disproportionate cost.

There are currently 3,940 foreign national offenders released into the community following completion of their custodial sentence who are subject to deportation action. Around 10% of these release decisions are made by the UK Border Agency, having assessed the risk of harm posed to the public and the prospects of removal in a reasonable timescale. The remaining 90% of release decisions are made by the courts.

Foreign national offenders in the community awaiting deportation are subject to stringent reporting restrictions while every effort is made to remove them from the country.

In some cases foreign national offenders fail to adhere to the conditions of their licence and do not report as necessary. As such they become absconders.

The UK Border Agency works closely with the police and probation services to locate these individuals. The UK Border Agency has a specialist trace and locate team who scrutinise external databases in order to track down absconders.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.

Annotations

No annotations

Sign in or join to post a public annotation.