The number of court proceedings processed in the magistrates courts in England and Wales, England, and the West Midlands Local Criminal Justice Board area, from 2007 to 2009, is given in the table. Statistics are not available prior to 2007 on a comparable basis.
|Table 1. Completed court proceedings in the magistrates courts, England and Wales, 2007-2009|
|Year||Area||Total number ofcompleted criminal proceedings(including breaches)||Total number of completed non-criminal proceedings||Total number of completed court proceedings|
|2007||England and Wales||2,184,000||981,000||3,165,000|
|2008||England and Wales||2,031,000||977,000||3,008,000|
|2009||England and Wales||1,913,000||974,000||2,887,000|
HM Courts Service Completed Proceedings database, collected through the HM Courts Service Performance Database ("OPT") and by manual data returns prior to April 2007.
(1) All figures are given to the nearest thousand.
(2) Criminal proceedings include indictable/Triable-Either-Way, adult breach proceedings, adult summary motoring and non-motoring proceedings, and youth proceedings.
(3) Civil and family applications include care proceedings, Children Act 1989 section 8 Orders, emergency protection orders, licensing, other civil applications and others. Other includes means inquiries, representation orders and special jurisdiction.
(4) Prior to April 2007, data were collected through different data collection systems and therefore not directly comparable with those given in the table, based on HMCS Performance database (OPT). For this reason, the table shows the figures from 2007 only. In addition, the case management system used in the magistrates courts was updated between December 2005 and December 2008, from multiple legacy systems to Libra. Libra was rolled out in the West Midlands courts between March-October 2008.
(5) The above stated figures may not be directly compared with those published prior to the Judicial and Court Statistics 2008 bulletins, due to figures being derived from a different data source.