This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Lord Moonie’s activity (no more than once per day)
- Also represented Kirkcaldy
- Entered the House of Lords on 5 July 2005
- Previously MP for Kirkcaldy until 11 April 2005 — did not stand for re-election
- Entered Parliament on 11 June 1987 — General election
- Send a message to Lord Moonie (via WriteToThem.com)
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Lord Moonie voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted strongly against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a smoking ban. votes
- Has never voted on the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Occasionally rebels against their party.
- Written Answers — House of Lords: Prisoners: Sentences (6 Jun 2013)
“To ask Her Majesty’s Government how many prisoners were released on licence last year having served 25% or less of a custodial sentence.”
- Written Answers — House of Lords: Benefits (5 Jun 2013)
“To ask Her Majesty’s Government what mechanisms exist to allow people to return their (1) statutory benefits, and (2) automatically-applied tax reliefs.”
- Written Answers — House of Lords: Pensioners: Assets (4 Jun 2013)
“To ask Her Majesty’s Government how many old-age pensioners they estimate possess assets exceeding £2 million.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 1 debate in the last year — below average amongst Lords.
- Has received answers to 29 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Responsiveness to messages sent via WriteToThem.com in 2005: Too little data for valid analysis.
- Has voted in 52.63% of votes in this House with this affiliation — above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — average amongst Lords.
- 12 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Moonie’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 6 times in debates — well below average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source).
|Type||2008/09||2007/08||2006/07||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£500||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£19,349 (299th)||£17,300 (456th)||£14,984 (357th)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£319 (joint 122nd with 6 others)||£1,527 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,130 (joint 83rd with 26 others)|
|Office running costs||£1,549||£19,296 (joint 146th with 2 others)||£17,940 (468th)||£18,124 (328th)||£10,659 (joint 501st with 1 other)|
|Staffing costs||£5,752||£64,980 (546th)||£54,071 (632nd)||£58,783 (554th)||£50,343 (174th)|
|Members' Travel||£386||£20,335 (54th)||£18,919 (64th)||£18,712 (68th)||£15,839 (58th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£940 (198th)||£0||£258 (355th)||£931 (144th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£0||£112 (642nd)||£79 (joint 646th with 1 other)||£101 (645th)||£182 (637th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||N/A||N/A||£0||£0||£36 (651st)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£0||£1,847 (joint 398th with 2 others)||£1,847 (joint 391st with 2 others)||£1,847 (joint 383rd with 1 other)||£1,847 (353rd)|
|Total||£42,312||£128,412 (220th)||£112,560 (475th)||£116,652 (241st)||£95,915 (150th)|