This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Lord Brennan’s activity (no more than once per day)
We’re missing a photo of Lord Brennan. If you have a photo that you can release under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license or can locate a copyright free photo, please email it to us. Please do not email us about copyrighted photos elsewhere on the internet; we can’t use them.
- Became a Lord on 3 May 2000
- Positions held at time of appointment: Chairman, The Bar Council (from Number 10 press release)
- Send a message to Lord Brennan (via WriteToThem.com)
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Lord Brennan voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately against the hunting ban. votes
- Has never voted on allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted strongly for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately against laws to stop climate change. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Quite often rebels against their party.
- Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill — Second Reading (2nd Day) (4 Jun 2013)
“My Lords, everything has been said on this subject already; or nearly everything. I am going to address the House on certain legal consequences of this legislation that I invite the House to consider very carefully. We have been fortunate in this debate to have heard remarkable and telling speeches about homosexual suffering in the past, and then liberation; about heterosexual culpability for...”
- Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Bill — Third Reading (27 Mar 2012)
“My Lords, the topic under debate appears to involve general agreement that this class of case is a proper one to be brought in the courts of this country. The critical question therefore is: is it financially possible to bring such a case under the proposed reforms in this Bill? These are long cases, which take years, and they are complex and very expensive. They involve defendants with...”
- Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Bill: Report (4th Day) (14 Mar 2012)
“The noble Lord is most gracious to give way. The points I was making were illustrated with cases. My principle point was that these cases are so expensive to run that you need a capital base which is not available to lawyers in this country. I should like the Minister to consider-if not now, later-in explaining to the House how it is that his advisers are telling him that lawyers in this...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 1 debate in the last year — below average amongst Lords.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 36.12% of votes in this House with this affiliation — average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this Lord’s speeches — average amongst Lords.
- 11 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Brennan’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 151 times in debates — above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)