This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Lord Alderdice’s activity (no more than once per day)
Liberal Democrat Peer, Former Speaker, and MLA for Belfast East
- Also represented Belfast East
- Changed party from Alliance on 30 Jun 1998
- Became a Lord in 1996
- Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
- Left the Assembly on 28 April 2003 — General election
- Send a message to Lord Alderdice (via WriteToThem.com)
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Lord Alderdice voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Has never voted on laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted against more EU integration. votes
- Voted for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted strongly against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Has never voted on allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party.
- Queen’s Speech — Debate (5th Day) (15 May 2013)
“My Lords, for the first couple of years of the coalition Government I was much encouraged and, indeed, enthused, by the change in the approach to foreign policy. It seemed that a number of problems had arisen. I listened carefully to the noble Lord, Lord Triesman—who is not in his place—and was struck by the fact that he was commending the Government for the improved investment in...”
- Syria: Refugees — Question (26 Mar 2013)
“My Lords, on previous occasions I have sought assurances from Her Majesty's Government that we would concentrate our attention on humanitarian aid, particularly to Turkey and Jordan, which have huge burdens of Syrian refugees, and also to Lebanon and Iraq. Given the recent remarks of our Prime Minister and President Hollande of France, can I press my noble friend to assure us that whatever...”
- Crime: Sexual Violence — Question for Short Debate (6 Mar 2013)
“My Lords, I suppose it is a tragic inevitability that shooting, bombing, injuring and killing people violently is part of war, and there is often debate about which incidents of bombing, shooting or violence are within the moral or legal framework. However, there is no dispute that sexual violence in the context of war is outside all moral and legal limits. I believe that those who in engage...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 28 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Has received answers to 5 written questions in the last year — above average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 35.96% of votes in this House with this affiliation — average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 5 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- 16 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Alderdice’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 171 times in debates — above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)