This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Lord Alderdice’s activity (no more than once per day)
Liberal Democrat Peer, Former Speaker, and MLA for Belfast East
- Also represented Belfast East
- Changed party from Alliance on 30 Jun 1998
- Became a Lord in 1996
- Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
- Left the Assembly on 28 April 2003 — General election
- Send a message to Lord Alderdice (via WriteToThem.com)
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Lord Alderdice voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted a mixture of for and against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted strongly against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted against more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on laws to stop climate change. votes
- Has never voted on allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party.
- Written Answers — House of Lords: Health: Mental Health (11 Jun 2013)
“To ask Her Majesty’s Government, further to the answer by Earl Howe on 8 October 2012 (Official Report, col. 920), whether they issue guidance to managers of secure hospitals regarding the times in which patients are to be locked in their rooms; whether patients at Broadmoor Hospital are locked in their rooms at night; if so, why; and whether any such practice is consistent with any...”
- Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill — Second Reading (Continued) (3 Jun 2013)
“My Lords, when the civil partnership legislation came to your Lordships’ House, I spoke strongly in favour of it. If it came again because there was a need for further protections or development of the legislation, I would continue to speak very strongly and passionately for it. However, I am not speaking from the place I normally sit as Convenor because my views about this legislation...”
- Queen’s Speech — Debate (5th Day) (15 May 2013)
“My Lords, for the first couple of years of the coalition Government I was much encouraged and, indeed, enthused, by the change in the approach to foreign policy. It seemed that a number of problems had arisen. I listened carefully to the noble Lord, Lord Triesman—who is not in his place—and was struck by the fact that he was commending the Government for the improved investment in...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 26 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Has received answers to 6 written questions in the last year — above average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 35.94% of votes in this House with this affiliation — average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 5 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- 16 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Alderdice’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 172 times in debates — above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)