My Lords, does my noble friend not agree that there is a great deal of confusing guidance here? Might everybody’s life not be made a little simpler if we went for one clear set of regulations that we could all refer back to and have a nice argument about that when we pass them?
My Lords, the noble Lord, Lord Allen, has drawn our attention to a very important facet of our society. Initially when thinking about the economic and social value, a little part of me said, “Economic value? You cannot put an economic value on this”. Well, you can because you are doing something that would not otherwise be done, and that makes our society a better place to live...
My Lords, when you are number 26 in a list of 30, everything you thought you might say that might be original has usually been covered. I shall run through these areas quickly. The BBC World Service is an incredibly good institution but, as has been said, it would not exist in anything like its current form without the BBC. The BBC’s greatest claim to fame is that it bears the name...
More of Lord Addington’s recent appearances
Liberal Democrat Peer
Became a Lord in 1982
Other offices held in the past
- Spokesperson for Defence, Spokesperson for Culture, Media and Sport , Deputy Chief Whip (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Spokesperson in the Lords, Defence (27 Jul 2007 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Spokesperson in the Lords (Sport), Culture, Media & Sport (19 Dec 2006 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Spokesperson in the Lords (Sport), Shadow Minister (17 Aug 2006 to 19 Dec 2006)
- People With Disabilities, Non-Departmental & Cross Departmental Responsibilities (19 Oct 2005 to 21 Mar 2006)
- Deputy Chief Whip (1 Jun 2005 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Spokesperson in the Lords (Disability), Work & Pensions (1 Jun 2005 to 25 Oct 2007)
- Spokesperson in the Lords (Sport), Culture, Media & Sport (1 Jun 2005 to 17 Aug 2006)
- Spokesperson in the Lords, Work & Pensions (22 Feb 2005 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Spokesperson in the Lords, Culture, Media & Sport (22 Feb 2005 to 1 Jun 2005)
- People With Disabilities, Non-Departmental & Cross-Departmental Responsibilities (26 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Other Whip (26 Jan 2004 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Minister (Sport), Culture, Media & Sport (26 Jan 2004 to 22 Feb 2005)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 22 debates in the last year — above average amongst Lords.
- Has received answers to 8 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 86.04% of votes in this House with this affiliation — well above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 9 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- 18 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Addington’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 440 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from