A selection of the Earl of Arran's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Generally voted against more EU integration Show votes
Consistently voted for university tuition fees Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of the Earl of Arran’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit the Earl of Arran’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, I will say just a few words on a part of the United Kingdom so far scarcely mentioned—it is called the West Country—where there is still a sense of deep shock at how at how quickly the events of the general election changed from the predictions of the pollsters to an outcome which, for the first time for a generation, shows the peninsula with a blue political...
My Lords, death is not a pretty affair. Thus it was a most humbling experience and a great privilege to have been appointed to your Lordships’ committee in 2005 to take evidence on assisted suicide. Not only did we travel to Europe, including a visit to Dignitas, but we travelled also to the US state of Oregon to examine very carefully the operation of the Death with Dignity Act, which...
My Lords, as we move towards the 2015 general election, clear policy direction is emerging from each party regarding their manifestos. The Chancellor, for example, fired an opening shot last week in Manchester proposing the building of HS3 and the development of a northern city linking Manchester and Leeds to rival the unstoppable growth of London. This suggests that the next election seems...
More of The Earl of Arran’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords in 1983
Currently held offices
- Member, Communications Committee (since 11 Jun 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Olympic and Paralympic Legacy Committee (16 May 2013 to 6 Nov 2013)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee D - Environment and Agriculture (18 May 2010 to 16 May 2012)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee D (13 Nov 2007 to 8 Apr 2010)
- Member, Committee on Regulators (23 Nov 2006 to 30 Oct 2007)
- Member, Committee on the Assisted Dying for the terminally ill Bill (30 Nov 2004 to 7 Apr 2005)
- Member, Refreshment Sub Committee (23 Nov 1994 to 19 Nov 1998)
- Member, Procedure Committee (Lords) (10 Oct 1994 to 8 Nov 1995)
- Member, Select Committee on Broadcasting (10 Oct 1994 to 12 Jan 1995)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 1 debate in the last year — below average amongst Lords. See all the Earl of Arran’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 29.96% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — below average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — average amongst Lords.
- 4 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on the Earl of Arran’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 22 times in debates — below average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from