How Lord Avebury voted since 2001
Randomly generated selection of topics. See full list.
Voted very strongly for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Source
Voted very strongly for fewer MPs in the House of Commons Source
Voted moderately for more EU integration Source
Has never voted on a referendum on the UK's membership of the EU Source
Voted very strongly for university tuition fees Source
Voted very strongly for an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Source
Get email notifications when Lord Avebury speaks in parliament.
See our much more detailed, easier-to-read analysis of votes on health, welfare, foreign policy, social issues, taxation and more.
Lord Avebury sometimes rebelled against their party in this parliament
Implementing the legislation to incorporate caste as a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010 – Lord Avebury.
To ask Her Majesty’s Government what consideration they have given to imposing sanctions on Saudi Arabian ministers responsible for legislation providing for sentences of cruel and unusual punishments, particularly for acts permitted under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
My Lords, is it necessary to refer to the alcohol industry for measures to alleviate the £21 billion-worth of harm that it causes? Should my noble friend not instead refer to the calculations by the University of Sheffield showing the amount by which alcohol harm can be reduced by increases in taxation?
More of Lord Avebury's recent appearances
Liberal Democrat Peer
Became a Lord in 1971
Other offices held in the past
- Spokesperson for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Spokesperson for the Home Office (8 Jan 2009 to 11 May 2010)
- Spokesperson in the Lords (Africa), Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs (21 Mar 2006 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Spokesperson in the Lords (With Special Responsibility for Africa), Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs (1 Jun 2005 to 21 Mar 2006)
- Spokesperson in the Lords (Civil Liberties), Home Affairs (1 Jun 2005 to 8 Jan 2009)
- Spokesperson in the Lords, Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs (22 Feb 2005 to 1 Jun 2005)
- Shadow Minister, Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs (26 Jan 2004 to 22 Feb 2005)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 58 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Has received answers to 79 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 58.10% of votes in this House with this affiliation — above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 11 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- 46 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Avebury’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1064 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from