My Lords, can the Minister categorically deny that the Treasury will try to influence these decisions? That is the concern. What will be the Treasury’s role in investment strategy?
My Lords, quite frankly, our experience is that a crisis is taking place, especially in children’s mental health services. Has the Minister visited these centres to see whether that money is being delivered? Our experience is that it is not.
The Minister is aware of the damage that was done by the media over this issue but one individual, Kelvin MacKenzie, has special responsibility. Does the Minister agree that no broadcaster should employ Kelvin MacKenzie, given his past record?
More of Lord Watts’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 3 December 2015
Previously MP for St Helens North until 30 March 2015 — General election
Entered the House of Commons on 1 May 1997 — General election
Also represented St Helens North
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Education and Skills
- Trade and Industry
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Combat Clothing
- Local Government Finance
- West Coast Main Line
- Middle East
Other offices held in the past
- Member, House of Commons Governance Committee (16 Oct 2014 to 17 Dec 2014)
- Member, Administration Committee (26 Jul 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Committees on Arms Export Controls (formerly Quadripartite Committee) (12 Jul 2010 to 2 Jul 2012)
- Member, Foreign Affairs Committee (12 Jul 2010 to 18 Jun 2012)
- Opposition Whip (Commons) (12 May 2010 to 1 Jun 2010)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (17 Jul 2005 to 10 Oct 2005)
- The Lord Commissioner of Her Majesty's Treasury (10 May 2005 to 6 May 2010)
- PPS (Rt Hon John Prescott, Deputy Prime Minister), Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (13 May 2004 to 11 Apr 2005)
- Member, Finance and Services Committee (14 Nov 1997 to 11 May 2001)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 75 debates since joining Parliament — well above average amongst Lords. See all Lord Watts’s speeches
- Has received answers to 0 written questions since joining Parliament — average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2014, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 43.06% of votes in this House with this affiliation up to the 2015 general election — average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 15 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 68 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Watts’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 3 times in debates — well below average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 30 Mar 2015.
(a) Address of donor: 128 Theobalds Road, London WC1X 8TN
(a) Amount of donation or nature and value if donation in kind: £3,000
6. Overseas visits
Address of donor: C/O Hong Kong Economic & Trade Office, 6 Grafton Street, London W1S 4EQ
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): flights, in-country transport, accommodation and meals with a total value of £10,567.37.
Destination of visit: Hong Kong
Purpose of visit: All Party Parliamentary China Group delegation to understand more about the political and economic environment in Hong Kong and the progress towards universal suffrage and to engage with and support bids by British business.
(Registered 24 June 2014, updated 30 June 2014)
8. Land and Property
Flat in London, from which rental income is received. (Registered 16 January 2015)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register
Note for journalists and researchers: The data on this page may be used freely,
on condition that TheyWorkForYou.com is cited as the source.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from