Well, I thought that was a disgraceful speech, defending law-breaking employers. I have been where the Minister is. If I had sat through the debate I have just heard, I would have said, “Actually, I will take the recommendation back”. I would go to my Secretary of State and say, “I was going to screw this up anyway; the House was against me. We need some better...
Well, I know that that noble Lord would not want any evidence, but he is not the Minister. I am asking the Minister. Would it not be a good idea to get more up-to-date evidence and take it away to have a little think about it? That is all that I am asking him to do.
The noble Lord has not said he is taking it back to the Government.
More of Lord Rooker's recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 21 June 2001
Previously MP for Birmingham, Perry Barr until 14 May 2001 — General election
Entered House of Commons on 28 February 1974 — General election
Also represented Birmingham, Perry Barr
Other offices held in the past
- Minister of State (Sustainable Farming, Food and Animal Welfare), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (19 Oct 2007 to 6 Oct 2008)
- Minister of State (Sustainable Food and Farming and Animal Health), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (28 Sep 2007 to 19 Oct 2007)
- Minister of State, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (28 Jun 2007 to 28 Sep 2007)
- Minister of State (Sustainable Farming and Food), Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (6 Jun 2006 to 28 Jun 2007)
- Minister of State, Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (10 May 2006 to 6 Jun 2006)
- Minister of State, Northern Ireland Office (11 May 2005 to 10 May 2006)
- Minister of State (Regeneration and Regional Development), Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (29 May 2002 to 11 May 2005)
- Minister of State (Asylum and Immigration), Home Office (11 Jun 2001 to 29 May 2002)
- Minister of State, Department of Social Security (28 Jul 1999 to 8 Jun 2001)
- Minister of State, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (5 May 1997 to 28 Jul 1999)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 33 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Has received answers to 32 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 68.77% of votes in this House with this affiliation — above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 21 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- 24 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Rooker’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2032 times in debates — well above average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from