Entered the House of Lords on 8 July 2010
Previously MP for Kingston upon Hull East until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Entered the House of Commons on 18 June 1970 — General election
Also represented Kingston upon Hull East
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Other offices held in the past
- Deputy Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister (17 Aug 2006 to 28 Jun 2007)
- Deputy Prime Minister, Cabinet Office (3 Aug 2006 to 17 Aug 2006)
- Deputy Prime Minister (27 Jul 2006 to 3 Aug 2006)
- Deputy Prime Minister, Cabinet Office (27 Jun 2006 to 27 Jul 2006)
- Deputy Prime Minister (8 May 2006 to 27 Jun 2006)
- Deputy Prime Minister and First Secretary of State (5 May 2006 to 28 Jun 2007)
- Deputy Prime Minister and Secretary of State for Local Government and the Regions (29 May 2002 to 5 May 2006)
- Deputy Prime Minister and First Secretary of State (8 Jun 2001 to 28 May 2002)
- Deputy Prime Minister, Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (2 May 1997 to 8 May 2006)
- Deputy Prime Minister and Secretary of State for Environment, Transport and the Regions (2 May 1997 to 7 Jun 2001)
- Secretary of State, Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (2 May 1997 to 8 Jun 2001)
- Shadow Secretary of State (22 Jul 1994 to 1 May 1997)
- Deputy Leader of the Labour Party (21 Jul 1994 to 24 Jun 2007)
- Shadow Secretary of State (1 Jul 1993 to 22 Jul 1994)
- Member, Labour Party National Executive Committee (1 Jul 1989 to 1 Jul 2007)
- Shadow Secretary of State (1 Jul 1988 to 1 Jul 1993)
- Shadow Secretary of State (1 Jul 1987 to 1 Jul 1988)
- Shadow Secretary of State (1 Jul 1984 to 1 Jul 1987)
- Shadow Secretary of State (1 Jul 1983 to 1 Jul 1984)
Register of Members’ Interests
Last updated: 12 Apr 2010.
2. Remunerated employment, office, profession etc
Further payment as part of contract with Tiger Aspect Productions
for programme entitled 'Prescott on Class'. (£15,001-£20,000)
Fee for speech at the Convention of Scottish Local Authorities Annual Conference in Dundee on 5 March 2009
, arranged through JLA
Associates. (£5,001-£10,000) My travel costs were met by COSLA
. (Registered 9 April 2009
Payment of £350 from the Malcolm Billings and Associates Production Company for presenting BBC Radio 4
programme on the Merchant Navy
. Payment passed on to charity. (Registered 20 August 2009
Payment of £6468.75 from Tiger Aspect Productions received on 11 August 2009 as part of fee for television programme 'The North South Divide'. Hours worked: 5 days in August (Registered 20 August 2009)
6. Overseas visits
11-16 April to Chongquing, China, at the invitation of COFTEC (Chongquing Overseas Foreign and Trade Economic Commission) to further the relationship between Yorkshire and Chongquing. Flights, transfers, hotel accommodation and hospitality were provided by COFTEC. (Registered 28 April 2009)
Address of donor: 71 Nanchizi Street, Beijing 100006, People's Republic of China.
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): all flights, accommodation and transfers were met by CPIFA. Value: £15,227.
Purpose of visit: attended with one other and a member of my parliamentary staff to address and participate in the China-EU
Strategic Partnership Forum, hosted by CPIFA.
Name of donor: (1) March Publishing Limited
(2) Lehman Brown
(3) Chinese Government Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM
Address of donor: (1) South Fens Conference Centre, Fenton Way, Chattens, Cambridgeshire, PE16 6TT.
(2) 6/F Dongwai Diplomatic Building, 23 Dongzhimenwai Dajie, Beijing 100600, China.
(3) No.2 Dong Chang An Street, Beijing 100731, People's Republic of China.
Amount of donation (or estimate of the probable value): (1) £3964 (Hong Kong
: accommodation and transfers)
(2) £1260 (Hong Kong to Beijing: accommodation, internal flight and transfers)
(3) £4526.40 (transfers, accommodation, return flight from London to Hong Kong, internal flights from Beijing to Xiamen and Xiamen to Hong Kong)
Destination of visit: Hong Kong and China
Purpose of visit: for me and one other. Attended and addressed a 48 Group reception in Hong Kong. Spoke at British Chamber of Commerce
dinner in Beijing. Attended the China International Fair for Investment and Trade (CFIT
) in Xiamen.
(Registered 21 December 2009)
29 July 2009
I took part in a BBC programme in Cardiff. No fee paid. My travel and overnight accommodation was paid for by Babycow Productions. (Registered 20 August 2009)
View the history of this MP’s entries in the Register
More about the register