This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Lord Bannside’s activity (no more than once per day)
DUP Peer, Former DUP MLA for North Antrim
- Also represented North Antrim
- Entered the House of Lords on 5 July 2010
- Previously MP for North Antrim until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
- Entered Parliament on 18 June 1970 — General election
- Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
- Left the Assembly on 24 March 2011 — Dissolved for election
- Send a message to Lord Bannside (via WriteToThem.com)
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Lord Bannside voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted very strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Has never voted on a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Has never voted on laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Has never voted on the hunting ban. votes
- Has never voted on automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Never rebels against their party.
- Mull of Kintyre Review — Statement (13 Jul 2011)
“My Lords, as the representative for North Antrim in another place at the time of this happening, this is a sad day. Yet it has some gladness about it, because the record of the two men concerned is now clear. That is a great relief to the families and to those of us who have followed this carefully. I, as the MP for that area, followed it very carefully and in fact raised it in another place....”
- Northern Ireland Assembly: Speaker’s Business: End of Mandate (23 Mar 2011)
“It seems that some of us are finishing our course. It is 41 years since I walked in here as an elected Member for my constituency in Antrim. Now, I feel as if I look only 41, but that is not so, for the facts are against us. We are all moving away from youth to middle age. When we look at one another, we see that we have spread a bit in our middle age and are weakening in our old age....”
- Tunisia — Statement (17 Jan 2011)
“My Lords, I am sure that we are glad of the Statement that we heard from the Minister tonight. However, I will stress one matter. Why did this come as a terrible surprise to the people in this area? Were the Government not aware that the matter was underneath the surface? We welcome the European part of the question. That must be worked on, because we need strong resistance to what has taken...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 0 debates in the last year — below average amongst Lords.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 10.73% of votes in this House with this affiliation — well below average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 65 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Bannside’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2 times in debates — well below average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 12 Apr 2010. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£16,625 (396th)||£18,136 (433rd)||£19,247 (415th)||£21,234||£20,900 (joint 195th with 5 others)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£19,260 (joint 344th with 1 other)||£15,003 (353rd)|
|Office running costs||£13,542 (486th)||£26,084 (39th)||£11,419 (607th)||£16,417||£9,215 (619th)||£4,773 (652nd)||£9,718 (629th)||£2,503 (652nd)|
|Staffing costs||£82,922 (544th)||£85,760 (391st)||£90,973 (54th)||£74,796||£61,835 (591st)||£40,417 (656th)||£44,610 (637th)||£41,382 (487th)|
|Communications Allowance||£1,269 (569th)||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£4,361 (483rd)1||£7,668 (315th)2||£10,864 (177th)||£9,701||£9,462 (351st)||£11,222 (281st)||£9,453 (350th)||£7,837 (329th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£2,491 (24th)||£1,350||£0||£320 (320th)||£1,982 (49th)||£1,877 (43rd)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£3,836 (joint 285th with 1 other)||£305 (578th)||£174 (634th)||£435||£156 (633rd)||£353 (579th)||£452 (578th)||£209 (634th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,612 (440th)||£1,330 (533rd)||£1,737||£280 (joint 637th with 1 other)||£1,592 (joint 482nd with 1 other)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|Total||£122,555 (584th)||£139,565 (414th)||£136,498 (349th)||£125,670||£101,848 (605th)||£79,010 (652nd)||£85,475 (631st)||£68,811 (605th)|