A selection of Lord Maxton's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted against an equal number of electors per parliamentary constituency Show votes
Consistently voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year Show votes
Consistently voted against fewer MPs in the House of Commons Show votes
Almost always voted against university tuition fees Show votes
Generally voted for more EU integration Show votes
Almost always voted for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Maxton’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Maxton’s full vote analysis page for more.
My Lords, it is a pleasure to follow the noble Earl, Lord Dundee. Before he became an earl, he was actually the Tory candidate in the famous Hamilton by-election in 1978. Of course, he bears a very famous name in that, in 1924 or 1925 I believe, one of his distant ancestors—standing as a prohibitionist —defeated Winston Churchill in Dundee. I too congratulate the two maiden...
I entirely agree with what the noble Baroness has said. Will she make it quite clear that the SNP is interested only in an independent Scotland, not in devolution in any form whatever?
Is the Minister saying that the vow was the way in which the referendum was won? My view is that the vow was not necessary; the no vote would have won anyway.
More of Lord Maxton’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 7 July 2004
Previously MP for Glasgow Cathcart until 14 May 2001 — General election
Positions held at time of appointment: Labour Member of Parliament for Glasgow Cathcart. (from Number 10 press release)
Entered the House of Commons on 3 May 1979 — General election
Also represented Glasgow Cathcart
Currently held offices
- Member, Science and Technology Committee (L) (since 8 Jun 2015)
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Information Committee (L) (22 Jun 2010 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Communications Committee (L) (23 Apr 2007 to 8 Apr 2010)
- Member, BBC Charter Review Committee (24 May 2005 to 8 Nov 2006)
- Member, Culture, Media and Sport Committee (28 Jul 1997 to 11 May 2001)
- Member, National Heritage Committee (27 Apr 1992 to 21 Mar 1997)
- Member, Public Accounts Committee (15 Nov 1982 to 1 Feb 1985)
- Member, Scottish Affairs Committee (16 Jan 1981 to 17 Dec 1982)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 90 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — average amongst Lords.
- Has voted in 85.30% of votes in this House with this affiliation — well above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 24 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- 1 person is tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Maxton’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 90 times in debates — average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from