A selection of Lord Blencathra's votes
See full list of topics voted on
Consistently voted for replacing Trident with a new nuclear weapons system Show votes
Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions Show votes
Almost always voted against more EU integration Show votes
Generally voted against a wholly elected House of Lords Show votes
Consistently voted for increasing the rate of VAT Show votes
Almost always voted against university tuition fees Show votes
We have lots more plain English analysis of Lord Blencathra’s voting record on issues like health, welfare, taxation and more. Visit Lord Blencathra’s full vote analysis page for more.
To ask Her Majesty’s Government whether they plan to set out the steps and timescale by which the refugees currently in Hungary, Austria, Italy, and Germany would have the unfettered right to move to the United Kingdom.
To ask Her Majesty’s Government what is their assessment of the invention by Agri-Broadband which has enabled broadband speed to be increased from 1 Mbps to 45 Mbps; and whether such an invention could contribute to equipping rural areas with superfast broadband.
To ask Her Majesty’s Government what steps they plan to take to permit traders to sell goods in imperial units if they and their customers so wish.
More of Lord Blencathra’s recent appearances
Entered the House of Lords on 10 March 2011
Previously MP for Penrith and The Border until 12 April 2010 — did not stand for re-election
Entered the House of Commons on 28 July 1983 — unknown
Also represented Penrith and The Border
Expenses data for MPs is available from 2004 onwards
split over several locations. At the moment we don't have the time to convert
it to a format we can display on the site so we just have to point you to where
you can find it.
Topics of interest
- Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Home Department
- Trade and Industry
- Foot and Mouth
- Ministerial Duties
- Departmental Events
Other offices held in the past
- Member, Draft Communications Data Bill (Joint Committee) (28 Jun 2012 to 28 Nov 2012)
- Member, EU Sub Committee F - Home Affairs, Health and Education (17 May 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, Procedure Committee (L) (16 May 2012 to 30 Mar 2015)
- Member, EU Sub-Committee F - Home Affairs (29 Mar 2011 to 16 May 2012)
- Member, Members Estimate Committee (4 Jun 2008 to 11 May 2010)
- Member, Members Estimates Committee (20 Mar 2007 to 4 Jun 2008)
- Member, Liaison Committee (3 Aug 2006 to 11 May 2010)
- Chairman, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee) (3 Aug 2006 to 11 May 2010)
- Chairman, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (26 Jul 2006 to 11 May 2010)
- Chair, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee) (14 Jun 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Chair, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (14 Jun 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (14 Jun 2006 to 26 Jul 2006)
- Member, Liaison Committee (Commons) (14 Jun 2006 to 6 May 2010)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee) (12 Jun 2006 to 14 Jun 2006)
- Member, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee) (12 Jun 2006 to 14 Jun 2006)
- Opposition Chief Whip, Whips (17 Mar 2005 to 6 Dec 2005)
- Chief Whip, Parliament (10 May 2004 to 17 Mar 2005)
- Chief Whip, Whips (10 May 2004 to 17 Mar 2005)
- Member, Members Estimate Committee (29 Jan 2004 to 6 May 2010)
- Shadow Chief Whip (Commons) (18 Sep 2001 to 10 May 2005)
- Minister of State (Home Office) (27 May 1993 to 1 May 1997)
- Minister (Department of Environment) (Environment and Countryside) (14 Apr 1992 to 26 May 1993)
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food) (26 Jun 1989 to 15 Apr 1992)
- The Lord Commissioner of Her Majesty's Treasury (27 Jul 1988 to 24 Jul 1989)
- Assistant Whip (HM Treasury) (18 Jun 1987 to 25 Jul 1988)
- Member, Agriculture Committee (6 Dec 1985 to 15 May 1987)
Public bill committees (Sittings attended)
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.
More about this
- Has spoken in 126 debates in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Has received answers to 707 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst Lords.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 78.99% of votes in this House with this affiliation — well above average amongst Lords. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 14 annotations on this Lord’s speeches — well above average amongst Lords.
- This MP’s speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 46 people are tracking this peer — email me updates on Lord Blencathra’s activity
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 39 times in debates — average amongst Lords. (Why is this here?)
Please feel free to use the data on this page, but if
you do you must cite TheyWorkForYou.com in the body
of your articles as the source of any analysis or
data you get off this site.
This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety
of sources. Voting information from