This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on William Bain’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Glasgow North East
- Entered Parliament on 13 November 2009 — Byelection
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by William Bain
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How William Bain voted on key issues:
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Treasury, Work and Pensions, Energy and Climate Change, Transport
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Food, Departmental Official Cars, Universal Credit, Energy: Prices, Animal Experiments: Scotland
(based on written questions asked by William Bain and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- PARTNERSHIPS (PROSECUTION) (SCOTLAND) BILL [LORDS] Committee (1 out of 1)
- Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies and Credit Unions Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Financial Services Bill Committee (13 out of 14)
- Bribery Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Children, Schools and Families Bill Committee (2 out of 12)
- Sustainable Communities Act 2007 (Amendment) Bill Committee (2 out of 1)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Justice: Topical Questions (21 May 2013)
“Our criminal justice system is strengthened in its ability to deal with international crime through our co-operation in the EU’s justice and home affairs policies. Does the Secretary of State agree that this is another powerful reason why we should remain a full member state of the EU?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 105 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 87 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 83.63% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 20–21 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 31 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on William Bain’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 139 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register