This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Vincent Cable’s activity (no more than once per day)
Liberal Democrat MP for Twickenham
- Secretary of State, Business, Innovation and Skills (since 12 May 2010) (note about dates)
- Entered Parliament on 1 May 1997 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Vincent Cable
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Vincent Cable voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for more EU integration. votes
- Voted strongly against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted strongly against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted strongly for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Never rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Treasury, Trade and Industry, Health, Home Department, Defence
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Staff, IT Projects, Ascension Island, Secondments, Asbestos
(based on written questions asked by Vincent Cable and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Children, Schools and Families Bill Committee (0 out of 12)
- Financial Services Bill Committee (0 out of 14)
- Finance Bill Committee (0 out of 18)
- Finance Bill Committee (0 out of 24)
- National Insurance Contributions Bill Committee (0 out of 2)
- Financial Mutuals Arrangements Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Statistics and Registration Service Bill Committee (4 out of 8)
- Finance Bill Committee (2 out of 14)
- Planning-gain Supplement (Preparations) Bill Committee (1 out of 2)
- National Insurance Contributions Bill Committee (1 out of 4)
- Regulation of Financial Services (Land Transactions) Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- National Minimum Wage (Enforcement Notices) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Retirement Income Reform Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Export Control Bill Committee (6 out of 6)
- Industrial and Provident Societies Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Copyright, etc. and Trade Marks (Offences and Enforcement) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Pension Annuities (Amendment) Bill Committee (1 out of 2)
- Home Energy Conservation Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Enterprise Bill Committee (15 out of 19)
No data to display.
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 13 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 54.32% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 31 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 198 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Vincent Cable’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 1142 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£41 (614th)|
|London costs||£2,916 (joint 1st with 49 others)||£2,812 (joint 1st with 47 others)||£2,712 (joint 1st with 46 others)||£2,613||£1,618 (joint 1st with 118 others)||£0||£0||£0|
|Office running costs||£21,794 (134th)||£21,333 (140th)||£20,653 (267th)||£19,505||£19,269 (170th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£18,234 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£12,942 (423rd)|
|Staffing costs||£98,878 (200th)||£90,422 (201st)||£87,056 (199th)||£83,515||£76,812 (108th)||£75,565 (5th)||£72,260 (joint 28th with 1 other)||£56,034 (53rd)|
|Communications Allowance||£11,086 (126th)||£3,538 (515th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£2,740 (555th)1||£1,680 (595th)2||£2,992 (558th)||£3,103||£4,164 (561st)||£3,720 (570th)||£3,256 (586th)||£3,061 (563rd)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£5 (439th)||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£3,941 (275th)||£1,152 (177th)||£2,145 (86th)||£1,814||£1,436 (182nd)||£3,738 (18th)||£3,966 (12th)||£2,777 (26th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£3,948 (138th)||£5,621 (115th)||£4,925||£4,899 (144th)||£13,417 (12th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,255 (joint 257th with 4 others)||£1,058 (joint 320th with 22 others)||£0||£2,010 (joint 52nd with 6 others)||£2,010 (joint 48th with 6 others)||£2,010 (joint 48th with 6 others)||£2,010 (joint 47th with 6 others)|
|Total||£141,355 (437th)||£126,140 (568th)||£122,242 (534th)||£115,475||£110,208 (545th)||£117,249 (368th)||£99,726 (545th)||£76,865 (526th)|