This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Stephen Barclay’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for North East Cambridgeshire
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Stephen Barclay
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Stephen Barclay voted on key issues:
- Voted for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Has never voted on equal gay rights. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Health, Defence, Home Department, Treasury, International Development
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Procurement, Departmental Dismissal, Departmental Expenditure, Manpower, Fraud
(based on written questions asked by Stephen Barclay and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Finance Bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- Wreck Removal Convention Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Finance (No. 4) Bill Committee (13 out of 14)
- Finance (No. 3) Bill Committee (12 out of 14)
- Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Written Answers — Home Department: Automatic Number Plate Recognition (18 Jun 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many points of entry to the UK there are for foreign vehicles; how many such points of entry have automatic number plate recognition cameras; and what use is made of those cameras for registering foreign vehicles entering the country.”
- Written Answers — International Development: Pension Payments: Zimbabwe (12 Jun 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for International Development what assessment she has made of the potential effects of withholding aid from Zimbabwe until the Zimbabwean Government restart pension payments to entitled UK citizens.”
- Gangmasters Licensing Authority (Civil Fines) (11 Jun 2013)
“The crux of the matter is in two of the words that the Minister just said: “in general”. My colleagues on the Government Benches very much support the statement made by my right hon. Friend the Member for Sevenoaks. We understand the difficulties of the red tape, but it is this “in general”. What we are saying is that in this instance there is a distinction between the...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 20 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 77 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 85.23% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 86 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Stephen Barclay’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 54 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register