This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Richard Ottaway’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Croydon South
- Also represented Nottingham North
- Entered Parliament on 9 June 1983 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Richard Ottaway
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Richard Ottaway voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted strongly against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted strongly against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Health, Defence, Transport, Home Department
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Iraq, Kenley Airfield, Departmental Costs, British Energy, Television: Advertising
(based on written questions asked by Richard Ottaway and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Prisons (Interference with Wireless Telegraphy) Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Scrap Metal Dealers Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies and Credit Unions Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Vehicle Registration Marks Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Finance Bill Committee (6 out of 7)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Work and Pensions: Syria (20 May 2013)
“If the Foreign Secretary cannot get agreement from his fellow EU member states to amend the arms embargo, will he veto its renewal?”
- Economic Growth (15 May 2013)
“As a secondary modern schoolboy, I am always pleased to follow the right hon. Member for Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill (Mr Clarke). In the regrettable absence of a debate on foreign affairs, I will use today’s theme to focus on the EU’s rule in economic growth. The British economy is not an isolated beast. It is part of a global economy and, in particular, a European economy...”
- Economic Growth (15 May 2013)
“We can all trade statistics on who trades what with whom, but about 50% of our exports are to the European Union. We export four times as much to the EU as to the United States.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 39 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 1 written question in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 76.29% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 113 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Richard Ottaway’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 512 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£9,635 (519th)||£21,481 (316th)||£21,000 (350th)||£21,634||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£19,168 (310th)||£19,104 (358th)||£15,665 (270th)|
|Office running costs||£20,656 (186th)||£15,484 (451st)||£19,040 (429th)||£19,275||£19,226 (181st)||£17,924 (470th)||£18,221 (joint 230th with 2 others)||£7,837 (580th)|
|Staffing costs||£88,771 (470th)||£87,151 (340th)||£85,719 (269th)||£75,195||£75,757 (126th)||£69,670 (198th)||£72,310 (joint 1st with 23 others)||£59,412 (23rd)|
|Communications Allowance||£9,633 (266th)||£14,533 (26th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£2,664 (558th)1||£2,651 (560th)2||£3,170 (550th)||£2,711||£4,427 (552nd)||£3,791 (567th)||£4,524 (546th)||£3,145 (556th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£17 (joint 458th with 1 other)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£264 (275th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£2,234 (487th)||£767 (333rd)||£896 (316th)||£544||£516 (joint 494th with 1 other)||£518 (501st)||£971 (joint 347th with 2 others)||£1,540 (163rd)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,785 (419th)||£2,523 (339th)||£750||£1,685 (joint 458th with 1 other)||£895 (579th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,257 (joint 253rd with 2 others)||£1,082 (joint 276th with 17 others)||£440||£1,587 (546th)||£1,587 (533rd)||£1,566 (513th)||£1,284 (519th)|
|Total||£133,594 (516th)||£145,373 (joint 347th with 1 other)||£133,430 (408th)||£120,549||£124,100 (305th)||£113,553 (453rd)||£116,696 (240th)||£88,900 (321st)|