This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Paul Murphy’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Torfaen
- Entered Parliament on 11 June 1987 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Paul Murphy
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Paul Murphy voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted strongly for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Wales, Health, Home Department, Transport, Northern Ireland
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Devolution, Constituencies: Wales, Offenders: Fines, Bill of Rights, PET Scans
(based on written questions asked by Paul Murphy and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Justice and Security Bill Committee (8 out of 8)
- Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Written Answers — Work and Pensions: Courts: Fines (18 Apr 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions if he will make an assessment of the relationship between court-imposed fines and (a) reliance on payday loans, (b) homelessness and (c) child poverty.”
- Written Answers — Justice: Offenders: Fines (18 Apr 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Justice what steps he is taking to improve offender profile information; and what analysis is made of the reasons why some offenders fail to comply with their payment plans for fines.”
- Written Answers — Justice: Offenders: Fines (18 Apr 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Justice if he will make an assessment of the relationship between (a) illness, (b) debt and (c) family breakdown and the late payment of court fines.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 14 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 28 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 68.17% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 14 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 57 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Paul Murphy’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 782 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£14,294 (446th)||£20,536 (370th)||£18,421 (438th)||£15,282||£14,414 (495th)||£15,324 (464th)||£18,384 (402nd)||£16,169 (149th)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£1,618 (joint 1st with 118 others)||£1,574 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,527 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,227 (joint 1st with 81 others)|
|Office running costs||£14,598 (444th)||£17,774 (357th)||£17,629 (493rd)||£16,686||£18,525 (308th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£15,744 (526th)||£24,352 (78th)|
|Staffing costs||£95,001 (333rd)||£93,617 (89th)||£84,808 (300th)||£85,067||£70,821 (295th)||£68,023 (joint 228th with 71 others)||£61,818 (453rd)||£35,556 (586th)|
|Communications Allowance||£13,603 (46th)||£9,433 (239th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£1,257 (606th)1||£4,864 (475th)2||£6,378 (375th)||£3,750||£0||£0||£880 (642nd)||£1,353 (619th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£1,885 (24th)||£2,072 (26th)||£584 (203rd)||£1,498||£86 (430th)||£985 (166th)||£424 (280th)||£414 (269th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£2,233 (488th)||£472 (507th)||£216 (626th)||£615||£468 (joint 522nd with 1 other)||£362 (576th)||£411 (590th)||£1,010 (327th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£827 (585th)||£569 (joint 616th with 1 other)||£909||£849 (592nd)||£767 (599th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,328 (joint 152nd with 1 other)||£1,139 (193rd)||£137||£1,943 (joint 212th with 5 others)||£1,943 (joint 208th with 5 others)||£1,943 (joint 205th with 5 others)||£1,943 (joint 195th with 5 others)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£3,449 (42nd)||£661 (47th)|
|Total||£142,871 (408th)||£150,923 (255th)||£129,744 (454th)||£123,944||£108,724 (561st)||£107,777 (536th)||£104,580 (494th)||£82,685 (448th)|