This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Owen Smith’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Pontypridd
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Owen Smith
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Owen Smith voted on key issues:
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Never rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Wales, Treasury, Health, Business, Innovation and Skills, Transport
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Procurement, Child Care, Departmental Meetings, Nurseries, Driving Standards Agency: Cardiff
(based on written questions asked by Owen Smith and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Coinage (Measurement) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Finance (No. 4) Bill Committee (4 out of 14)
- Health and Social Care Bill Committee (38 out of 40)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Wales: Aerospace Industry (15 May 2013)
“Airbus is a quintessentially European company. It employs 6,000 people in Wales and 10,000 in the UK, and 100,000 further jobs support it. Does the Secretary of State believe that those jobs will be more or less secure if Wales is not part of Europe?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 8 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 89 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 71.26% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 45 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Owen Smith’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 117 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register