This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Nigel Dodds’s activity (no more than once per day)
DUP MP for Belfast North, Former DUP MLA for Belfast North
- Entered Parliament on 7 June 2001 — General election
- Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
- Left the Assembly on 10 September 2010 — Resigned
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Nigel Dodds
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Nigel Dodds voted on key issues since 2001:
- Has never voted on removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Has never voted on allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Has never voted on the hunting ban. votes
- Voted very strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Northern Ireland, Treasury, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Home Department, Defence
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Police, Fuel Poverty, Kenya, Parades Commission, Schools
(based on written questions asked by Nigel Dodds and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Written Answers — Transport: Aviation (25 Apr 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what discussions he has had with (a) airport operators and (b) airline carriers on the holding of the G8 Summit in Northern Ireland in June 2013.”
- Written Answers — Culture Media and Sport: Olympic Games 2012 (25 Apr 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what the estimated underspend is of the budget for the London 2012 Olympic Games.”
- Written Answers — Northern Ireland: G8 (25 Apr 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (1) what discussions she has had with the Northern Ireland Executive about the costs of hosting the G8 Summit in Fermanagh in June 2013; (2) what discussions have taken place with police forces in Great Britain about security for the G8 Summit in Fermanagh in June 2013.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 61 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 45 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 57.42% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 58 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nigel Dodds’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 305 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£22,436 (171st)||£22,992 (198th)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£21,613||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,331 (joint 159th with 3 others)||£19,181 (350th)||£16,950 (85th)|
|Office running costs||£15,604 (411th)||£29,812 (9th)||£20,762 (255th)||£17,901||£19,196 (192nd)||£18,767 (joint 287th with 1 other)||£18,108 (joint 333rd with 1 other)||£12,879 (427th)|
|Staffing costs||£81,899 (551st)||£74,351 (588th)||£83,203 (joint 366th with 1 other)||£79,103||£66,220 (518th)||£64,243 (498th)||£61,878 (445th)||£58,811 (25th)|
|Communications Allowance||£6,183 (435th)||£10,111 (119th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£17,624 (41st)1||£21,536 (14th)2||£19,382 (20th)||£20,321||£25,603 (22nd)||£26,295 (17th)||£22,143 (34th)||£20,009 (15th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£463 (223rd)||£1,209 (101st)||£88||£0||£1,079 (152nd)||£333 (joint 317th with 1 other)||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£2,789 (25th)||£4,091 (13th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£519 (joint 33rd with 1 other)||£1,782 (13th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£5,429 (153rd)||£1,118 (187th)||£863 (joint 330th with 1 other)||£1,516||£1,322 (205th)||£998 (251st)||£1,422 (176th)||£1,453 (182nd)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£4,052 (132nd)||£2,800 (joint 306th with 1 other)||£5,909||£3,529 (216th)||£2,852 (282nd)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,301 (181st)||£1,083 (joint 274th with 1 other)||£0||£1,877 (joint 346th with 6 others)||£1,877 (joint 340th with 5 others)||£1,877 (joint 332nd with 5 others)||£1,877 (joint 312th with 5 others)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£6,122 (21st)||£6,389 (7th)|
|Total||£152,483 (296th)||£171,609 (12th)||£151,412 (72nd)||£146,451||£138,649 (73rd)||£136,442 (56th)||£131,064 (27th)||£118,368 (3rd)|