This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Nigel Dodds’s activity (no more than once per day)
DUP MP for Belfast North, Former DUP MLA for Belfast North
- Entered Parliament on 7 June 2001 — General election
- Entered the Assembly on 25 June 1998 — General election
- Left the Assembly on 10 September 2010 — Resigned
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Nigel Dodds
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Nigel Dodds voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Has never voted on the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Has never voted on allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted very strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
- Has never voted on removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Northern Ireland, Treasury, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Home Department, Defence
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Police, Fuel Poverty, Parades Commission, Kenya, Schools
(based on written questions asked by Nigel Dodds and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Written Answers — Treasury: Air Passenger Duty (18 Jun 2013)
“To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer how much duty has been refunded on unused airline tickets in each year since the introduction of air passenger duty.”
- Written Answers — Work and Pensions: Means-tested Benefits (18 Jun 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what estimate he has made of the sums allocated to means tested benefit and allowances which have not been claimed in each year since 2010.”
- Written Answers — Work and Pensions: Pensions (17 Jun 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what representations he has received on the funding of pensions from national insurance revenue following the abolition of contracting out.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 58 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 79 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 56.95% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 58 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nigel Dodds’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 305 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£22,436 (171st)||£22,992 (198th)||£22,110 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£21,613||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,331 (joint 159th with 3 others)||£19,181 (350th)||£16,950 (85th)|
|Office running costs||£15,604 (411th)||£29,812 (9th)||£20,762 (255th)||£17,901||£19,196 (192nd)||£18,767 (joint 287th with 1 other)||£18,108 (joint 333rd with 1 other)||£12,879 (427th)|
|Staffing costs||£81,899 (551st)||£74,351 (588th)||£83,203 (joint 366th with 1 other)||£79,103||£66,220 (518th)||£64,243 (498th)||£61,878 (445th)||£58,811 (25th)|
|Communications Allowance||£6,183 (435th)||£10,111 (119th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£17,624 (41st)1||£21,536 (14th)2||£19,382 (20th)||£20,321||£25,603 (22nd)||£26,295 (17th)||£22,143 (34th)||£20,009 (15th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£463 (223rd)||£1,209 (101st)||£88||£0||£1,079 (152nd)||£333 (joint 317th with 1 other)||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£2,789 (25th)||£4,091 (13th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£519 (joint 33rd with 1 other)||£1,782 (13th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£5,429 (153rd)||£1,118 (187th)||£863 (joint 330th with 1 other)||£1,516||£1,322 (205th)||£998 (251st)||£1,422 (176th)||£1,453 (182nd)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£4,052 (132nd)||£2,800 (joint 306th with 1 other)||£5,909||£3,529 (216th)||£2,852 (282nd)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,301 (181st)||£1,083 (joint 274th with 1 other)||£0||£1,877 (joint 346th with 6 others)||£1,877 (joint 340th with 5 others)||£1,877 (joint 332nd with 5 others)||£1,877 (joint 312th with 5 others)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£6,122 (21st)||£6,389 (7th)|
|Total||£152,483 (296th)||£171,609 (12th)||£151,412 (72nd)||£146,451||£138,649 (73rd)||£136,442 (56th)||£131,064 (27th)||£118,368 (3rd)|