This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Nick Smith’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Blaenau Gwent
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Nick Smith
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Nick Smith voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Work and Pensions, Health, Defence, Treasury, Energy and Climate Change
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Obesity, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Insulation, Child Benefit, Official Hospitality
(based on written questions asked by Nick Smith and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Financial Services (Banking Reform) Bill Committee (6 out of 6)
- Financial Services (Banking Reform)Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Nato: Joint Strike Fighter (17 Jun 2013)
“How many joint strike fighter aircraft do the Government plan to have operable by 2020?”
- Energy and Climate Change: Green Investment (6 Jun 2013)
“Will the Minister explain why the UK has fallen to seventh in the world for investment in clean energy since the Government came to power?”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Deputy Prime Minister: Heseltine Review (4 Jun 2013)
“Does the Deputy Prime Minister agree that the regional growth fund is being spent far too slowly and that that is leading to delays in investment and jobs across the country?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 78 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 24 written questions in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 72.97% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 0 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 16–17 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 62 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nick Smith’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 64 times in debates — well below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register