This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Nicholas Soames’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Mid Sussex
- Also represented Crawley
- Entered Parliament on 9 June 1983 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Nicholas Soames
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Nicholas Soames voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted very strongly against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted very strongly against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Defence, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Home Department, Health, Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Iraq, Afghanistan, Nato, Israel, Housing
(based on written questions asked by Nicholas Soames and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Hunting (Re-committed) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Hunting Bill Committee (17 out of 31)
- Hunting Bill Committee (13 out of 16)
- Written Answers — Defence: Afghanistan (21 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what estimate he has made of the number of people killed in unmanned aerial vehicle strikes in Afghanistan in each of the last three years.”
- Written Answers — Health: General Practitioners (21 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Health when he plans to next amend the GP contract.”
- Written Answers — Health: General Practitioners (21 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Health what steps GPs are taking to keep elderly, frail people out of hospital.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 31 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 286 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 67.53% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 3 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 85 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Nicholas Soames’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 804 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£19,391 (313th)||£21,869 (296th)||£20,491 (371st)||£18,442||£20,730 (254th)||£20,250 (joint 215th with 1 other)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£15,738 (joint 236th with 8 others)|
|Office running costs||£21,793 (135th)||£19,322 (274th)||£20,337 (330th)||£12,140||£19,254 (174th)||£17,058 (528th)||£16,745 (495th)||£16,789 (273rd)|
|Staffing costs||£98,651 (207th)||£89,677 (247th)||£87,217 (179th)||£75,516||£69,998 (382nd)||£68,023 (joint 228th with 71 others)||£65,115 (joint 300th with 1 other)||£44,468 (384th)|
|Communications Allowance||£7,433 (382nd)||£11,815 (53rd)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£1,832 (589th)1||£1,982 (586th)2||£2,039 (588th)||£1,924||£4,854 (540th)||£4,197 (joint 550th with 1 other)||£2,740 (595th)||£1,804 (601st)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£10 (430th)||£0||£45||£82 (433rd)||£14 (joint 478th with 1 other)||£42 (joint 449th with 1 other)||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£2,651 (421st)||£527 (joint 473rd with 1 other)||£567 (498th)||£746||£986 (300th)||£831 (joint 341st with 1 other)||£1,266 (226th)||£1,409 (joint 195th with 2 others)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,846 (401st)||£2,097 (401st)||£1,999||£1,970 (409th)||£2,200 (371st)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,376 (joint 84th with 2 others)||£1,246 (joint 64th with 1 other)||£660||£1,419 (596th)||£1,419 (585th)||£1,178 (609th)||£1,178 (528th)|
|Total||£151,752 (309th)||£148,424 (299th)||£133,994 (399th)||£111,472||£119,293 (413th)||£113,992 (444th)||£106,808 (464th)||£81,386 (467th)|