This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Mike Hancock’s activity (no more than once per day)
Liberal Democrat MP for Portsmouth South
- Entered Parliament on 14 June 1984 — unknown
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Mike Hancock
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Mike Hancock voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted very strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted moderately against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately for a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for the hunting ban. votes
- Voted strongly against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against more EU integration. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Quite often rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Defence, Health, Home Department, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Environment Food and Rural Affairs
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Iraq, Animal Experiments, Uganda, Parliamentary Questions, Retirement Age
(based on written questions asked by Mike Hancock and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Chairman, Health and Social Care Bill Committee (16 out of 40)
- Chairman, Marriage (Wales) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Chairman, Temporary and Agency Workers (Equal Treatment) Bill Committee (2 out of 3)
- Chairman, Children and Adoption Bill Committee (3 out of 6)
- Criminal Law (Amendment) (Householder Protection) Bill Committee (0 out of 3)
- Written Answers — Health: CJD (16 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Health (1) when screening for vCJD will be available to families who have been affected by it; (2) when he proposes that a vCJD blood screening test will be implemented to screen all UK blood donors.”
- Written Answers — Health: CJD (16 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Health (1) how many silent carriers of vCJD there are in the UK; and how many of those could be potential blood donors; (2) what his latest estimate is of the number of people in the UK who may be unknowing carriers of vCJD.”
- Written Answers — Education: Curriculum (25 Apr 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Education what recent representations he has received on the introduction of a Curriculum for Life; and if he will make a statement.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 0 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 100 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 43.35% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 6 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 98 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Mike Hancock’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 403 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£7,303 (552nd)||£10,859 (548th)||£11,706 (543rd)||£8,952||£12,739 (532nd)||£15,264 (466th)||£13,310 (555th)||£10,465 (558th)|
|Office running costs||£22,277 (110th)||£21,251 (162nd)||£20,401 (317th)||£21,192||£18,859 (267th)||£18,762 (joint 293rd with 1 other)||£18,234 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£18,042 (236th)|
|Staffing costs||£100,064 (166th)||£85,508 (398th)||£81,827 (407th)||£80,782||£74,011 (193rd)||£67,611 (351st)||£65,263 (288th)||£44,539 (381st)|
|Communications Allowance||£10,302 (201st)||£9,358 (248th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£5,612 (408th)1||£6,327 (380th)2||£5,919 (406th)||£5,194||£10,135 (331st)||£10,597 (303rd)||£9,933 (326th)||£8,892 (282nd)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£24 (469th)||£0||£644 (206th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£0||£1,080 (117th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£4,935 (189th)||£1,758 (57th)||£2,054 (95th)||£1,103||£1,099 (259th)||£1,318 (154th)||£1,179 (261st)||£1,259 (240th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£4,947 (64th)||£5,582 (117th)||£2,972||£3,083 (261st)||£3,418 (212th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,259 (joint 247th with 2 others)||£1,090 (joint 258th with 10 others)||£0||£1,920 (joint 268th with 2 others)||£1,920 (joint 264th with 2 others)||£1,920 (joint 259th with 2 others)||£1,920 (joint 245th with 2 others)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£477 (52nd)|
|Total||£150,494 (324th)||£142,347 (386th)||£128,579 (474th)||£120,195||£121,846 (360th)||£118,914 (336th)||£109,839 (joint 400th with 1 other)||£86,238 (379th)|