This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Michael Moore’s activity (no more than once per day)
Liberal Democrat MP for Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk
- Also represented Tweeddale, Ettrick and Lauderdale
- Secretary of State, Scotland (since 29 May 2010) (note about dates)
- Entered Parliament on 1 May 1997 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Michael Moore
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Michael Moore voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted very strongly for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately for more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted very strongly against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted very strongly for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately against replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted very strongly against the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, International Development, Defence, Treasury, Trade and Industry
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Iraq, Fairtrade Initiative, Fair Trade Initiative, Middle East: Peace Negotiations, Iraq: Asylum
(based on written questions asked by Michael Moore and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Companies (Audit, Investigations and Community Enterprise) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Arms Control and Disarmament (Inspections) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- British Overseas Territories Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Written Answers — Scotland: Travel (20 May 2013)
“The Scotland Office travel subsistence expenses information for the last five years is supplied in the following table. Number of officials claiming reimbursement for travel subsistence expenses Total cost of claims (£) Monetary value of the 20 highest subsistence claims (£) 2008-09 37 25,952 10,743 2009-10 42 21,826 7,591 2010-11 37 20,414 7,442 ...”
- Written Answers — Scotland: Wilson Review (16 May 2013)
“The Wilson Review of support for Scottish exporting is currently scheduled to submit its report to me this autumn. The Government will then consider its findings and recommendations before publishing it before the end of 2013.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 8 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 67.01% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 13 annotations on this MP’s speeches — above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 55 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Michael Moore’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 358 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£20,387 (265th)||£21,563 (314th)||£21,676 (293rd)||£21,570||£19,909 (312th)||£16,352 (426th)||£10,399 (585th)||£13,932 (445th)|
|Office running costs||£20,207 (206th)||£18,403 (joint 328th with 1 other)||£17,638 (491st)||£20,458||£17,977 (362nd)||£17,732 (488th)||£17,137 (474th)||£14,772 (357th)|
|Staffing costs||£97,684 (250th)||£89,873 (234th)||£89,916 (73rd)||£76,937||£69,768 (390th)||£68,023 (joint 228th with 71 others)||£61,487 (472nd)||£47,944 (246th)|
|Communications Allowance||£10,919 (135th)||£10,007 (129th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£15,616 (58th)1||£15,420 (67th)2||£15,212 (69th)||£15,744||£19,180 (67th)||£21,785 (36th)||£19,711 (54th)||£16,656 (41st)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£688 (109th)||£326 (266th)||£884 (144th)||£1,129||£1,791 (joint 92nd with 1 other)||£2,168 (47th)||£1,006 (170th)||£2,287 (27th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£1,966 (47th)||£2,484 (43rd)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£4,073 (258th)||£734 (348th)||£1,143 (243rd)||£485||£201 (627th)||£474 (529th)||£287 (617th)||£510 (551st)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£3,324 (196th)||£4,065 (192nd)||£2,537||£1,905 (422nd)||£2,391 (341st)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£964 (596th)||£761 (611th)||£761||£1,987 (joint 90th with 2 others)||£1,987 (joint 84th with 2 others)||£1,987 (joint 83rd with 2 others)||£1,987 (joint 81st with 2 others)|
|Total||£171,539 (65th)||£163,098 (68th)||£151,295 (75th)||£139,621||£132,718 (140th)||£130,912 (104th)||£112,014 (351st)||£98,088 (116th)|