This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Matthew Hancock’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for West Suffolk
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Matthew Hancock
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Matthew Hancock voted on key issues:
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted for a smoking ban. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Treasury, Work and Pensions, Communities and Local Government, Transport, Education
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Buildings, Departmental Allowances, Taxis, Wines, Departmental Furniture
(based on written questions asked by Matthew Hancock and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- National Insurance Contributions Bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- Financial Services Bill Committee (18 out of 18)
- Written Answers — Business, Innovation and Skills: Apprentices: Farriers (21 May 2013)
“Provision at the National Farriery Training Association has been suspended as a consequence of Ofsted's judgment that this was inadequate. I have asked the Skills Funding Agency to follow its intervention policy to deal to the issues raised by Ofsted. In addition, the agency is working closely with the Farrier's Registration Council and the National Farriery Training Association to put in...”
- Written Answers — Education: Apprentices (20 May 2013)
“The Apprenticeship vacancy website is excellent. It is now widely used as a free recruitment service across England by employers and training organisations to advertise apprenticeship vacancies and by individuals looking to apply for an apprenticeship. The number of apprenticeship vacancies advertised this year has increased by 24% and almost 120,000 are expected to be advertised by the end...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 37 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 6 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 83.76% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 17–18 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 130 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Matthew Hancock’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 173 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register