This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Keith Simpson’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Broadland
- Also represented Mid Norfolk
- Entered Parliament on 1 May 1997 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Keith Simpson
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Keith Simpson voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
- Voted strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Has never voted on a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Defence, International Development, Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Treasury
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Sudan: Peacekeeping Operations, Iran, Iraq, Sudan: Peace Negotiations, Afghanistan
(based on written questions asked by Keith Simpson and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- National Lottery (Funding of Endowments) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Hunting Bill Committee (15 out of 16)
- International Development Bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- Vehicles (Crime) Bill Committee (6 out of 10)
- Private Security Industry Bill Committee (7 out of 7)
- Rail (East Anglia) (3 Jul 2012)
“What a vision of loveliness my hon. Friend is, and I congratulate her on securing this important debate. To cut to the quick, many MPs and many of our constituents believe that, in the past, neither Network Rail nor the franchisees have taken East Anglia seriously. We have the impression that previous franchisees have asset stripped. We have been dumped on with out-of-date rolling stock, and...”
- Group Lotus (24 Apr 2012)
“Following my hon. Friend’s logic, what does he think our Government can actually do, apart from using persuasion and nudging the people who might be carrying out the actions about which he is rightly pessimistic?”
- Written Answers — Treasury: World War I: Anniversaries (9 Feb 2012)
“To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer what plans his Department has to mark the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 1 debate in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 74.48% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 81 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Keith Simpson’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 267 times in debates — average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£21,768 (211th)||£22,076 (290th)||£20,443 (372nd)||£20,116||£18,256 (391st)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£18,797 (381st)||£17,066 (81st)|
|Office running costs||£21,985 (125th)||£20,123 (236th)||£20,603 (272nd)||£19,365||£18,755 (281st)||£18,756 (joint 302nd with 2 others)||£15,650 (533rd)||£15,113 (344th)|
|Staffing costs||£86,494 (499th)||£81,686 (504th)||£76,187 (540th)||£84,689||£70,836 (294th)||£66,531 (396th)||£37,226 (654th)||£46,850 (286th)|
|Communications Allowance||£8,097 (364th)||£19,426 (4th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£7,461 (313th)1||£6,494 (375th)2||£7,881 (308th)||£5,778||£11,042 (304th)||£9,477 (343rd)||£9,730 (333rd)||£5,356 (449th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£104 (402nd)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£621 (179th)||£639 (183rd)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£92 (joint 84th with 1 other)||£21 (111th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£1,729 (joint 549th with 2 others)||£527 (joint 473rd with 1 other)||£742 (joint 394th with 1 other)||£667||£431 (543rd)||£643 (438th)||£565 (542nd)||£615 (503rd)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,817 (409th)||£861 (599th)||£3,118||£1,029 (joint 570th with 1 other)||£2,048 (405th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,499 (16th)||£1,246 (joint 64th with 1 other)||£637||£1,888 (joint 320th with 6 others)||£1,652 (joint 516th with 1 other)||£1,652 (joint 486th with 1 other)||£1,652 (joint 407th with 1 other)|
|Other Costs||£0||£5,779 (23rd)||£13,271 (4th)||£0||£0||£5,167 (20th)||£7,106 (19th)||£0|
|Total||£148,248 (346th)||£160,087 (100th)||£141,234 (259th)||£134,370||£122,237 (356th)||£124,607 (211th)||£90,726 (606th)||£86,756 (367th)|