This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on John Stanley’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for Tonbridge and Malling
- Entered Parliament on 28 February 1974 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by John Stanley
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How John Stanley voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Has never voted on a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately for a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted moderately against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted moderately against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted moderately against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Health, Transport, Home Department, Business, Innovation and Skills
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Iraq, Members: Correspondence, Pandemic Influenza, Correspondence, Community Hospitals
(based on written questions asked by John Stanley and answered by departments)
- Written Answers — Health: Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust (13 May 2013)
“To ask the Secretary of State for Health whether the Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust has met the four key tests referred to in his letter of 13 December 2012 to the right hon. Member for Tonbridge and Malling.”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 6 debates in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 11 written questions in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 56.27% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 2 annotations on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 20–21 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 128 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on John Stanley’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 701 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£21,931 (204th)||£22,252 (280th)||£21,587 (303rd)||£20,907||£20,902 (joint 1st with 187 others)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£15,863 (200th)|
|Office running costs||£5,534 (632nd)||£5,930 (630th)||£5,760 (639th)||£5,223||£7,817 (632nd)||£4,666 (653rd)||£4,761 (joint 654th with 1 other)||£4,029 (633rd)|
|Staffing costs||£65,745 (622nd)||£65,613 (622nd)||£61,894 (627th)||£42,646||£44,623 (651st)||£42,203 (652nd)||£38,813 (651st)||£36,777 (571st)|
|Members' Travel||£1,405 (602nd)1||£1,563 (599th)2||£1,528 (603rd)||£1,393||£2,185 (615th)||£1,951 (616th)||£2,919 (591st)||£1,213 (623rd)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£17 (338th)||£27 (352nd)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£4,762 (200th)||£1,193 (joint 153rd with 1 other)||£1,500 (joint 159th with 1 other)||£905||£919 (321st)||£1,197 (185th)||£1,228 (joint 239th with 1 other)||£524 (joint 538th with 2 others)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,831 (405th)||£1,345 (530th)||£3,871||£2,100 (joint 390th with 1 other)||£1,950 (420th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,387 (joint 76th with 1 other)||£1,242 (joint 67th with 4 others)||£0||£1,549 (562nd)||£1,549 (546th)||£1,549 (523rd)||£1,549 (445th)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£12,682||£1,084 (82nd)||£0||£0||£0|
|Total||£99,395 (631st)||£99,796 (633rd)||£94,856 (639th)||£87,627||£81,179 (653rd)||£73,849 (654th)||£68,992 (655th)||£59,955 (644th)|