This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Jack Straw’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Blackburn
- Entered Parliament on 3 May 1979 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Jack Straw
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Jack Straw voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted moderately for automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted strongly for removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted strongly for more EU integration. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted moderately for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately for a transparent Parliament. votes
- Voted moderately for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted moderately for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted very strongly for allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a smoking ban. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Occasionally rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Deputy Prime Minister, Home Department, International Development, Justice, Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Departmental Public Expenditure, Electoral Register, Constituencies: Boundary Commissions, Departmental Pay, Human Rights
(based on written questions asked by Jack Straw and answered by departments)
- Previous Business – Commons: Select Committee (20 Mar 2013)
“Public Administration: Future of the civil service.
Witnesses: Rt Hon Jack Straw MP”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Communities and Local Government: Royal Charter on Press Conduct (18 Mar 2013)
“In 2008, the House agreed, on an all-party basis, in sections 77 and 78 of the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008, to strengthen the penalties in section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1998 for breach of data protection. Alongside that, a separate section guaranteed press freedom and a public interest defence. Does the Deputy Prime Minister agree that this is now the time, more than...”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Communities and Local Government: Cyprus (18 Mar 2013)
“The lack of effective supervision of the Greek Cypriot banking system has been notorious for many years and it has become a haven for Russian money laundering. What steps, either through this package or through other measures, are being taken better to control the banking system in Cyprus?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 28 debates in the last year — average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — well below average amongst MPs.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a low number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 57.22% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 142 annotations on this MP’s speeches — well above average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 19–20 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 103 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Jack Straw’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 4299 times in debates — well above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£6,275 (556th)||£8,039 (570th)||£15,925 (496th)||£17,717||£17,780 (402nd)||£12,877 (522nd)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£11,420 (531st)|
|London costs||£0||£0||£0||£0||£1,618 (joint 1st with 118 others)||£1,574 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,527 (joint 1st with 101 others)||£1,227 (joint 1st with 81 others)|
|Office running costs||£23,515 (76th)||£29,201 (13th)||£27,238 (58th)||£21,167||£19,074 (220th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£18,234 (joint 1st with 183 others)||£23,480 (95th)|
|Staffing costs||£93,448 (377th)||£73,059 (596th)||£67,235 (606th)||£71,207||£63,606 (570th)||£62,500 (553rd)||£61,980 (joint 397th with 36 others)||£37,692 (553rd)|
|Communications Allowance||£7,836 (371st)||£3,796 (510th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£3,895 (508th)1||£3,624 (530th)2||£4,457 (494th)||£3,568||£5,573 (517th)||£4,454 (541st)||£5,094 (526th)||£2,723 (joint 578th with 1 other)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£363 (205th)||£1,740 (35th)||£1,394 (75th)||£897||£566 (264th)||£734 (joint 204th with 1 other)||£1,469 (100th)||£1,266 (98th)|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£1,032 (116th)||£282 (270th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£0||£0||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£6,521 (86th)||£2,030 (21st)||£2,209 (82nd)||£2,261||£1,954 (110th)||£1,544 (122nd)||£1,127 (276th)||£433 (577th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£3,275 (joint 202nd with 1 other)||£2,944 (292nd)||£3,697||£3,240 (joint 239th with 1 other)||£2,378 (343rd)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,321 (160th)||£1,118 (joint 220th with 5 others)||£0||£1,998 (joint 75th with 1 other)||£1,998 (joint 68th with 1 other)||£1,998 (68th)||£1,998 (67th)|
|Other Costs||£0||£0||£0||£597||£3,481 (50th)||£0||£3,314 (45th)||£860 (43rd)|
|Total||£142,887 (407th)||£126,367 (566th)||£122,520 (532nd)||£121,111||£118,890 (422nd)||£106,858 (549th)||£114,465 (292nd)||£81,099 (469th)|