This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Ian Murray’s activity (no more than once per day)
Labour MP for Edinburgh South
- Entered Parliament on 6 May 2010 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Ian Murray
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Ian Murray voted on key issues:
- Has never voted on a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Has never voted on a smoking ban. votes
- Voted very strongly against greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted against raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Has never voted on more EU integration. votes
- Voted against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted against encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted very strongly for equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately against increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Has never voted on Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Has never voted on replacing Trident. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
More on their full record
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Business, Innovation and Skills, Justice, Treasury, Scotland, Culture Media and Sport
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Employment Tribunals Service, Newspaper Licensing Agency, Land Registry, Post Offices, Shipping
(based on written questions asked by Ian Murray and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Groceries Code Adjudicator Bill Committee (5 out of 5)
- Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Bill Committee (17 out of 17)
- Growth and Infrastructure Bill Committee (13 out of 14)
- Daylight Saving Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Wreck Removal Convention Bill Committee (0 out of 1)
- Finance (No. 3) Bill Committee (13 out of 14)
- Oral Answers to Questions — Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: British Producers: New Markets (16 May 2013)
“Happy Thursday, Mr Speaker. Will the Secretary of State reflect on the fact that the British food producers industry makes a significant contribution to the UK economy? What impact would it have on that industry, were the UK to leave the EU?”
- Oral Answers to Questions — Prime Minister: Engagements (15 May 2013)
“Does the Deputy Prime Minister agree with me, the late Baroness Thatcher, senior Government members on the Business, Innovation and Skills Committee, the Liberal Democrat manifesto, the Minister in charge of the Royal Mail and his own Government, and does he still agree with himself, that the privatisation of the Royal Mail is a step too far?”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 53 debates in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 53 written questions in the last year — above average amongst MPs.
- Has voted in 78.52% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — above average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 1 annotation on this MP’s speeches — below average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 60 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Ian Murray’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 92 times in debates — below average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register