This data was produced by TheyWorkForYou from a variety of sources.
Email me updates on Hugo Swire’s activity (no more than once per day)
Conservative MP for East Devon
- Entered Parliament on 7 June 2001 — General election
- Send a message to your MP (via WriteToThem.com)
- Sign up to HearFromYourMP to get messages from your MP
- Help us add video by matching a speech by Hugo Swire
- Voting record
- Topics of interest
- Most recent appearances
- Register of Members’ Interests
Voting record (from PublicWhip)
How Hugo Swire voted on key issues since 2001:
- Voted moderately for a stricter asylum system. votes
- Voted moderately against a smoking ban. votes
- Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change. votes
- Voted very strongly for greater autonomy for schools. votes
- Voted very strongly for the Iraq war. votes
- Voted strongly for an investigation into the Iraq war. votes
- Voted very strongly against allowing ministers to intervene in inquests. votes
- Voted strongly for increasing the rate of VAT. votes
- Voted very strongly for replacing Trident. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing ID cards. votes
- Voted strongly against the hunting ban. votes
- Voted moderately against more EU integration. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against equal gay rights. votes
- Voted moderately against Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against university tuition fees. votes
- Voted for raising England’s undergraduate tuition fee cap to £9,000 per year. votes
- Voted very strongly against a more proportional system for electing MPs. votes
- Voted strongly against introducing foundation hospitals. votes
- Voted against removing hereditary peers from the House of Lords. votes
- Voted moderately against a wholly elected House of Lords. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against automatic enrolment in occupational pensions. votes
- Voted moderately for encouraging occupational pensions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.
Topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Departments: Culture Media and Sport, Health, Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Home Department, Treasury
- Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Olympic Games: Greater London, National Lottery, Casinos, London Olympics, Gambling
(based on written questions asked by Hugo Swire and answered by departments)
Public Bill Committees (sittings attended)
- Antarctic Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Marine and Coastal Access Bill Committee (4 out of 9)
- Energy Bill Committee (15 out of 15)
- Employment Bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- National Lottery Bill Committee (8 out of 8)
- Criminal Law (Amendment) (Householder Protection) Bill Committee (1 out of 3)
- Public Audit (Wales) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Fire and Rescue Services Bill Committee (9 out of 11)
- Justice (Northern Ireland) Bill Committee (4 out of 4)
- Hunting Bill Committee (22 out of 31)
- Water Bill Committee (7 out of 11)
- Aviation (Offences) Bill Committee (1 out of 1)
- Hunting (Re-committed) Bill Committee (2 out of 2)
- Tax Credits Bill Committee (5 out of 6)
- Tax Credits Committee (2 out of 2)
No data to display.
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 21 debates in the last year — below average amongst MPs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a medium number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2008, according to constituents.
- Has voted in 57.54% of votes in this Parliament with this affiliation — well below average amongst MPs. (From Public Whip)
- People have made 8 annotations on this MP’s speeches — average amongst MPs.
- This MP's speeches, in Hansard, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 89 people are tracking this MP — email me updates on Hugo Swire’s activity.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 334 times in debates — above average amongst MPs. (Why is this here?)
Register of Members’ Interests
Register last updated: 7 May 2013. More about the Register
Figures in brackets are ranks.Data from parliament.uk (source). Read 2004/05 – 2008/09 and 1st quarter 2009/10 receipts.
|Type||2008/09 (ranking out of 647)||2007/08 (ranking out of 645)||2006/07 (ranking out of 645)||2005/06||2004/05 (ranking out of 659)||2003/04 (ranking out of 658)||2002/03 (ranking out of 657)||2001/02 (ranking out of 657)|
|Staying away from main home||£23,103 (142nd)||£22,802 (237th)||£22,022 (255th)||£21,453||£20,899 (joint 201st with 3 others)||£20,333 (joint 3rd with 149 others)||£19,722 (joint 1st with 230 others)||£18,009 (joint 2nd with 55 others)|
|Office running costs||£11,609 (550th)||£23,572 (76th)||£26,248 (74th)||£20,322||£19,165 (198th)||£18,799 (joint 13th with 178 others)||£16,245 (509th)||£19,433 (183rd)|
|Staffing costs||£110,700 (12th)||£88,271 (301st)||£80,071 (442nd)||£83,754||£70,496 (311th)||£68,023 (joint 228th with 71 others)||£64,364 (332nd)||£54,721 (76th)|
|Communications Allowance||£3,216 (524th)||£2,684 (539th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Travel||£7,578 (310th)1||£8,766 (263rd)2||£9,391 (250th)||£8,279||£11,460 (289th)||£9,962 (328th)||£9,132 (367th)||£5,664 (438th)|
|Members' Staff Travel||£0||£0||£132 (360th)||£0||£0||£120 (joint 408th with 1 other)||£212 (372nd)||£0|
|Members' Spouse Travel||£3,060 (20th)||£2,373 (48th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Members' Family Travel||£185 (58th)||£243 (59th)||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Purchased Stationery||£2,186 (495th)||£517 (478th)||£1,157 (235th)||£753||£496 (joint 505th with 1 other)||£453 (joint 538th with 1 other)||£562 (543rd)||£1,655 (128th)|
|Stationery: Associated Postage Costs||£1,312 (509th)||£912 (595th)||£2,635||£1,366 (joint 515th with 1 other)||£1,670 (469th)||N/A||N/A|
|Centrally Provided Computer Equipment||£1,076 (joint 511th with 1 other)||£853 (586th)||£591||£1,945 (joint 204th with 5 others)||£1,945 (joint 199th with 6 others)||£1,945 (joint 196th with 6 others)||£1,624 (joint 413th with 1 other)|
|Total||£161,637 (172nd)||£151,616 (244th)||£140,786 (266th)||£137,787||£125,827 (279th)||£121,305 (278th)||£112,182 (346th)||£101,106 (78th)|